El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does this car have a computer ?
And does this car have the 4 speed auto,and is it comp controlled ?I see a vacuume line comming off the back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, located near the right front kick panel under the dash.

And does this car have the 4 speed auto,and is it comp controlled ?
Probably a 3 speed. You can tell by the shift indicator. Should have a DRIVE and selects for the lower gears. Only 2 lows? Trans is controlled by the vacuum line to the modulator and the downshift cable. May contain a lock up convertor but I don't know what trans they put in there.

I see a vacuume line comming off the back.

Trans needs that line to shift.

·
Banned
881 Posts
It certainly came with one from the factory. Check in the passenger side kick panel to see if it's still there.

And does this car have the 4 speed auto,and is it comp controlled ?
Look at the gear shift indicator. If it looks like this:

then you have a 3 speed automatic. If it looks like this:

then you have a four speed automatic with overdrive. The only thing in the tranny that is controlled by the computer is the torque convertor lockup.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not only does the lockup torque converter depend on the computer, but a throttle position indicator in the carburetor must also be functioning correctly. They work hand-in-hand to control when the torque converter locks up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
85 camino

MAN thanks for the quic response! I like this alot . So i guess the big wire harness comming from the rt side fire wall that has been cut off is for the computer,,,,,,,,,I guess thats the end of that. The car runs , but from what you say the trans may have a lock up controlled by the comp and throttle . I havent driven it exept for to drive it up the car trailor so i dont know. Is there a kit that by passes the comp controlls?I may have to part the thing out and use the eng and trans for another camino

·
Banned
881 Posts
Re: 85 camino

exair said:
... from what you say the trans may have a lock up controlled by the comp... Is there a kit that by passes the comp controlls?
First, take a look under your Elky to decide what you have. Here is a link to ID the transmission pan. The 200-4R was an optional transmission in 85 and you may have a different one.

Second, if it is a 200-4R it's not difficult to get the TCC lockup working without a computer. TCI makes a universal kit to adapt the TCC in a 700-R4 or a 200-4R to a non-computer controlled car. Universal TCC Lock-Up Kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
85 camino

Thank you very much , I am learning alot here. I'll report back as soon as i find out what to do

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
"Not only does the lockup torque converter depend on the computer, but a throttle position indicator in the carburetor must also be functioning correctly."

Thanks spoonplugger, that explains why the torque converter doesn't lock up after I replaced the computer carb with a Holley.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
85 camino

man this can get deep. i think this page can save me alot of lost time and money

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
85 camino

YEs sir i took the info and inspected the car. Its a 3 spd ,the comp harness is cut out . I started it again and it runds soo bad . I think its a flat cam or timing chain . I may have to part this one out . Did any one ans my 68 elcamino eng wireing harness questions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts