El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Patient: 85 elky v6 4.3 (262cu) TBI fuel injection
After a lot of changing parts, forum info led to oil pressure switch and its part in the fuel pump relay and that would be why I couldnt get fuel. Changed that and now car runs but still has new problems that seem to stem from changing the oil press switch of the low oil press/choke light illuminated. Here is the long story. Hopefully some advice.

1. Start: no check eng lights or low oil/choke light on cluster, running great, then started to get small hesitation intermittently. Then would not start. Would turn but no fuel-took to shop and troubleshot to be fuel pump - it was replaced, ran a bit then not at all, shop says not their problem.
2. Ran codes stating MAP, changed , ran great for about 15 miels (codes were cleared:>), then back to hesitation, stall no speed past idle.
3. Moving wires and connectors revealed wires left out of protectors and grounding out on engine (I had same shop do some work and it was them that did that and were too lazy to complete the job correctly - not going there anymore). Wires went to MAP harness so had to replace entire harness. Ran great for about 15 miles, then quit - could not turn over at all.
4. No lights on at this point, no check engine light or low oil/choke light.
5. Pulled pump - ck ok, checked filter - fine
Put in new distributor and fuel relay and new oil press switch.
Runs now but after a few miles got the low oil/choke lite illuminated (no check enging light)

Read forum on oil press lite and choke wire connection so pulled, checked, and cleaned oil press switch connector and rechecked/cleaned connections.
Now light is no longer a BRIGHT illumination but a soft GLOW but NOT out - please help.

I know I paid for a fuel pump replacement that I didnt' need but now seems to have issues it didn't have before so am really confused. I am thinking I have some grounding out somewhere as I don't want to think I have a bad oil pump. If is was the sender I would think it is either good or bad - even intermittently, but not a "glow"

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Have you checked this http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ACD0/D1829.oap?year=1985&make=Chevrolet&model=El%2BCamino&vi=1042715&pt=01996&ppt=C0039, if this fails it won't run.What it does is if the oil pressure drops to low it interupts voltage to the fuel pump relay.
Get yourself a mechanical oil pressure gauge and install it down by the oil filter and have someone turn the engine over while you watch the gauge to see if the oil pump is working,I can't remember if it requires 6lbs or 9lbs minimum for that switch to close so it will run.
You'll usually find this pressure switch at the back of the engine below the distributor on the drivers side.
There is an oil pressure switch specifically for the light on the dash also.The oil pressure should be [email protected]
Did you or the shop loosen any wires and not get them connected back,check for loose grounds on the engine.
These are just possibilities but I would verify oil pressure first!
Also check for any blown fuses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, changed the oil pressure switch - thats how I got it to run. Trouble is now the light. If the switch was bad, how come I didn't get the light before? With the light that is now a glow I am thinking some kind of resistance or maybe the choke relay or heater going bad that maybe wasnt in evidence before or just need to start tracing wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.