El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85' El Camino is leaking water when it rains. The water is coming in above the stainless steel molding above the windows on both sides. I'm not quite sure how it is getting in or how to remove the molding to check it out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sean :???:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not knowing your car I can't say for sure but you may have a rust hole under the molding. If you don't suspect that, change the seals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another thought. Does this happen when stationary or moving? If only when moving check the little plastic tabs that hold the glass against the rubber when the window is up. Lower pressure air moving around the side of the car will tend to pull the glass off the seals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I poor water above the stainless steel trim, The water comes in between the plastic molding and the rubber seal. it isn't getting by the rubber seal from the outside. I'm not quite sure how to get the trim piece off to see what is happening.:???:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You either have a rust hole at the top of the windshield or the glue that holds the windshiled in has failed and needs to be replaced.
There is a small tool with a hook on the end to remove the trim from the clips that hold it. Don't worry about breaking the clips they can be replaced cheaply.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Are you talking about the drip rail moldings on the roof over each door glass? The drip rail is welded to the roof panel and a bead of seam sealer was applied along the joint. Possible the seam sealer has a break somewhere. Or, are you sure it's not coming in from the windshield?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We figured out how to get the front piece of trim off of the drip rail molding. The front piece unscrews after You get the piece off that holds the rubber seal in. The water was coming in where the welded drip rail stops, which is right where the front and back piece of molding meet. We are going to replace the weather stripping that goes under the front piece and put a little silicone in behind the joint of the molding. We are also going to change all of the rubber seals around the doors and windows as they are 27 years old and a little brittle, even though thats not where the water was coming in. I will try to post a picture of the trouble spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I can't figure out how to post a picture. hopefully everybody has a good imagination.:dontknow:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts