El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a factory location for rear speakers in an 85 elky? Crutchfield lists 4X10s as fitting the stock location in the rear. I cannot find a 4X10 location. It seems this is a wierd size if they are saying just stick them behind the seats.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There are mounting grills for 5th gens to have 4x10's. I bought a parts '79 a few years ago that had them. I didn't need them and gave them away. They mount in the bottom front corners of the rear compartment. What I did with mine is I took the speaker mounting plate and baffle out of a 3rd gen F-body and mounted it in those corners on my '78.

Heres a pic:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took some 6x9 speaker boxes and cut them down and notched them on the top until they fit in the corners under the seat belts. The same location you would probably have to put the 4x10's. Ive never seem a box designed for 4x10's, fact is I've never seen a 4x10 speaker or heard of one. I'm only 66.

·
Registered
314 Posts
4x10's aren't very popular, cruthfield only carries two models. 6x9's must be more common in stock cars.

·
1,867 Posts
I just mounted 6x9 boxes behind the carpet. They sound great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
speaker mounts

Anyone know where I might be able to find these mounting plates/grilles I didnt even think el caminos came with rear speakers, anyways id like to get some back there and would like to mount them right. thanx

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: speaker mounts

siccmc said:
Anyone know where I might be able to find these mounting plates/grilles I didnt even think el caminos came with rear speakers, anyways id like to get some back there and would like to mount them right. thanx
I happen to have a Firebird that I'm parting out, and it has the bracket and baffles I have pictured above that I have mounted in my '78. I can pull them out and make you a deal on those if your interested.

·
Registered
365 Posts
For my sound I just have two 6x9 rockford fosgates in seperate boxes and 3.5 inch fosgates in the dash. I have no problem with having the two boxes behind the curtain and having plenty of room for my spare and equipment. This sounds good and doesn't take up much room, and looks stock since its behind the curtain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts