El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

I've been having an issue with my external lights and wanted to figure out where the problem originates. Here's the current state of my lighting:

Headlights Off
• Left Turn Signal: Left indicator flashes normally, but right indicator flashes as well (though not as bright).
• Right Turn Signal: Right indicator is solid, doesn't flash
• Brake Pedal: Both dash turn indicator lights flash every time brake pedal is pushed
• Hazards: Operate Normally

Headlights On: (Right indicator dash light is illuminated at all times)
• Left Turn Signal: Left indicator is solid, doesn't flash. Right indicator dash light remains solid as well.
• Right Turn Signal: Right indicator dash light is still illuminated at all times, barely flickers when signal switch activated
• Brake Pedal: Both dash turn indicator lights flash every time brake pedal is pushed (Right indicator dash light is still illuminated at all times)
• Hazards: Don't function, lights are solid

I tried replacing the flasher under the dash opposite the fuse box in hopes of fixing the issue, but did not fix the issue. If it helps any, I've had some issues with the other dash clusters, but I'm sure that said issues originate from the instruments (fuel sending unite, tach filter, etc). Instead of trying to further describe the issue, perhaps this video will give a better depiction of the issue. Here is the link.

Should I replace the switch in the wheel? Is it a wiring issue? Thank you to whoever is able to offer a suggestion :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Your not going to believe this but I had a goofy thing like that also. Electrician by trade and nothing made sense. It turned out to be a bad front turn signal bulb. Turn signal filament was touching the parking light filament. Just a thought. With the brakes involvEd it could be the rear.
Tom

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree First inspect/replace all of your light bulbs they are dual filament so only one might be burned out. I am pretty sure that solved my problem with teh same symptoms if it doesnt try the head light switch (dont buy the cheapest one I learned the hard way)

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Automotive electrical craziness is normally grounding problems. The current will find a path to ground somewhere.
The bulbs are a good starting place but while you are at it clean and check all ground connections.
"Left Turn Signal: Left indicator flashes normally, but right indicator flashes as well (though not as bright)." Left turn signal grounding through
right light filament.
"Right Turn Signal: Right indicator is solid, doesn't flash" Right side bulbs not grounding enough to activate the flasher.
"Brake Pedal: Both dash turn indicator lights flash every time brake pedal is pushed" Turn/Brake filaments grounding through turn indicators.

That should keep you busy and hopefully head you down a path to solve most of your problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,

I replaced each bulb, resulting in no change from the previous lighting issues. I'll spend some time on tracing grounding for some of the connections this weekend and will update after.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts