El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 ELCO that i rescued form my dad taking it to scrap. it is solid. The only thing wrong is the tansmission so it sat in his barn for over 10 years. I have a 350 that i plan on using a holly Sniper EFI on and a 7004r tans that was already mated to it when i got it. They worked i removed myself from a 85 suburban. Anyway. The issue is with the motor mounts anyone know what i am getting into with them. I can find everywhere mounts for installing LS motors into everything but i cannot find adapter for this application. Where should i place the motor mounts in relation to where the 4.3 are at. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions. THanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders. The trans sits in the same place whether it’s behind a 350 or 4.3, so I think the mounts are the same (and maybe in the same place?). If you don’t get a firm answer here check with the S10 folks-they swap in traditional small blocks a lot.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
The 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders. The trans sits in the same place whether it’s behind a 350 or 4.3, so I think the mounts are the same (and maybe in the same place?). If you don’t get a firm answer here check with the S10 folks-they swap in traditional small blocks a lot.
Patrick
X2, I'm pretty sure the 85 350 will bolt right in with the original mounts. Both vehicles used the clamshell type mounts. I personally haven't done it but the basic block never really changed until sometime around the late 90's-early 2000's?? I'm just goin off the top of my head, probably someone here will be able to nail down the exact change years. Tinbender, JJ, and a few others I'm thinking?

Joe

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
youll need to move the Frame Bracket / Motor Mount to the front V8
location.. the V6 location is farther back on the Cross-Member..
the front lower bolt will be open with a V8..

with the 4.3 to V8 swap
you can probly use the same 4.3 Frame Mounts, Block brackets, bolts
with a Car Oil Pan.. the Truck pan may be deeper..
check the Oil Pan Clearance to the cross-member,,
depending on what the Pan came out of, some have a deeper front sump..
and there are taller and shorter block and frame mounts,
they don't mix and match very well together..

MM V8 DRVR side.jpg MM V8 Pass side.jpg MM V8 gbody.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
youll need to move the Frame Bracket / Motor Mount to the front V8
location.. the V6 location is farther back on the Cross-Member..
the front lower bolt will be open with a V8..

with the 4.3 to V8 swap
you can probly use the same 4.3 Frame Mounts, Block brackets, bolts
with a Car Oil Pan.. the Truck pan may be deeper..
check the Oil Pan Clearance to the cross-member,,
depending on what the Pan came out of, some have a deeper front sump..
and there are taller and shorter block and frame mounts,
they don't mix and match very well together..

View attachment 131057 View attachment 131058 View attachment 131059
Awesome thank you all for the information. I was hoping that there would be a range of holes conisdering there was multiple engine packages offered for this car. I will be getting all new motor mounts going with poly mounts for durability. First step is to get the old motor out and new motor built. Going with a mild uild top end only. Aluminum heads, new hydraulic flat tappet cam and intake. Then to afford this Holley Sniper EFI. I want it reliable and I am so tired of messing with Carbs. My truck is annoying enough.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
see if there is a number on the motor side brackets and
compare it to a 305 part number.. post up the number too..
305 and 350 is the same, but there wont be a listing for a 350 in a 85...
if there the same ether will probly work..

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts