El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the hopefully easy, A/C fix has been all but that.
What turned into originally a compressor replacement , has turned into a evaporator and condenser replacement as well.
Well $400 into it now.
So I have replaced the evap, and comp, but I'm having trouble finding a new evaporator.
Seem the popular brand is the Spectra Premium 7-3232, and is a straight fit.
However, none of the vendors I have contacted, have them in stock, and don't know when they will get any.
I contacted spectra, but have not heard back from them.

Anyone know of any other vendors that might carry this condenser for an 86?
It needs to be a new condenser.
Thanks.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Can't help you with the supply issues, but I can say that the Parallel Flow style you are choosing, regardless of manufacturer, is the preferred condenser for R134a. Try and stick with the Parallel style for better performance. If you are not familiar with the term, you can look at the picture and if all of the tubes come out one end straight into a single vertical tube, it is parallel. If they come out the end, and then make a 180 degree turn back into the condenser, like the stock units, then it is Serpentine flow. Good enough for R12, but not for R124a.

Reactions: pvdave

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
R134a with an old style condenser just doesn't cool as well as with a parallel style condenser. It still works, but just not nearly as well. Cab temps at the vents may be 3-5 degrees cooler with the parallel flow.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Darbysan, it seems to me using a parallel condenser may/will require a reconfiguration or rerouting of other AC components, such as hoses and likely compressor position. Which side of engine is compressor? Is there another GM vehicle that has a setup which can be installed on my 87 El Camino with 307?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
With the correct hose adapters and maybe a custom hose or two, you should be able to retain the use of your original compressor and its location. I needed an adapter from Nostalgic Air for thirty six bucks plush shipping.

Yes, I agree that your original condenser will work with R134A refrigerant but it is not as efficient as a modern parallel flow condenser. Its all about getting rid of passenger compartment heat from the condenser and the parallel condenser does it the best.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
If you get a replacement parallel condenser that is designed for a g-body of the era ( El Camino, Monte Carlo, Etc), then the hoses should still work just fine. They do make replacement condensers that just drop in. There is also a small problem with the stock hoses. They are not "Barrier Hoses", meaning that the molecules of the R134a are much smaller than R12, and over time some of them will leak through the hoses. Not a big deal, but might require 1/2 can a year to replenish the loss. Nothing to be done unless you take your hoses out and have the rubber portion replaced with Barrier hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts