El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Guys & Gals, I could use a little guidance here:
I have a stock 305 V8 in my '86 El camino. If the car sets for over a day it is hard to start.it takes a lot of turning over to get it started.\

Two mechanics have told me the Rodchester carburetor is known to leak gas and leave the bowl dry. And, thus the long time turning over to get gas in the bowl to start the car.

So, I'm looking to replace the carb. Can someone advise on on what I should get to replace the original Rodchester? My Camino is registered as an Antique, so the car no longer has to pass inspection.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
If you replace the Quad with anything else you are losing a fantastic piece of engineering ! Send it to Mountain Man Carb rebuilders and have it rebuilt to better than factory new !! You don't have to take my word for it, use the "search" feature on El Central and you will see that many of us share by their work. They rebuilt my '86 about 7 years ago and IF you leave it alone it will be running great for many years. Call them and they will be happy to help you. Either he or his wife can help.:banana:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Wayne, Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call.
Before rebuilding was your car hard to start after it sat a few days, and was that improved after the rebuild?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone heard about epoxying a couple of things in the bottom of the carburetor to keep it from loosing the gas in the bowl?

I was told the empty bowl after a day or two was the nature of this Rodchester carb.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Bill, I removed all the smog and computer crap from my El and of course when you do that the carb has to be changed to a non computer feedback type quadrajet. How old is the carb ? Are you going to keep it stock with the computer ? If you're going to stay stock it is even more important for the carb to be in 100% condition. Give Mtn Man a call and describe whats happening ,they are the most fantastic people !! If you're going to remove the computer ,you will need to switch carbs.. If your emission stuff is functioning correctly its a great system as it comes from the factory. I had a new '84 and the computer system was great so staying with that is good also.
Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Bill, I removed all the smog and computer crap from my El and of course when you do that the carb has to be changed to a non computer feedback type quadrajet. How old is the carb ? Are you going to keep it stock with the computer ? If you're going to stay stock it is even more important for the carb to be in 100% condition. Give Mtn Man a call and describe whats happening ,they are the most fantastic people !! If you're going to remove the computer ,you will need to switch carbs.. If your emission stuff is functioning correctly its a great system as it comes from the factory. I had a new '84 and the computer system was great so staying with that is good also.
Wayne

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
hey Bill heres a search
some call them well plugs, some welsh plugs..
also mostly in the summer,,
sometimes its not having a insulating gasket under the carb,,
also retarded timing running the motor hotter.. this new gas seems to evaporate faster..
QJet is a great Carb.. X2 on Mount-n Man..
https://www.bing.com/search?q=QuadraJET%20WELSH%20PLUGS&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=quadrajet%20welsh%20plugs&sc=0-21&sk=&cvid=48747E85576744858D77E21BAE65E4D0
https://www.bing.com/search?q=QuadraJET+WELl+PLUGS&form=IE10TR&src=IE10TR&pc=ASU2JS&pc=EUPP_
:texas:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
If you replace the Quad with anything else you are losing a fantastic piece of engineering ! Send it to Mountain Man Carb rebuilders and have it rebuilt to better than factory new !! You don't have to take my word for it, use the "search" feature on El Central and you will see that many of us share by their work. They rebuilt my '86 about 7 years ago and IF you leave it alone it will be running great for many years. Call them and they will be happy to help you. Either he or his wife can help.:banana:

X2 IF you leave it alone.​

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have this same basic issue on my 84, 305,4bbl. All stock.
If the car sits for a while, it is hard to start. Have to crank it to get gas back up there. After it starts once it will start just fine for the rest of the day.
I have talked to mountain man about this. If that is the only symptom they say it is probably just gas evaporation. This new gas #%^&$#@[email protected]
I am told that the well plug problem usually shows up more after the car has ran some. The carb heats up and then the body expands a bit around the plugs and it leaks. makes the car hard to start because of too much gas.
Crank the car a bit before touching the gas pedal. Then pump the pedal two times. That seems to help my car some.
Also make sure your fuel filter has a backflow check valve in it. If not that will exaggerate the problem some.
You can also try an electric fuel pump.
Good luck. let me know how you make out. I would be very interested if you find out anything that will fix this.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Same problem on my 85. Recent rebuilt. Drove yesterday 2 pumps to crank, if 1 week or 2 wks, then about 7 pumps will get it started but sometimes dies and 2-3 more pumps, it cranks

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,055 Posts
You might want to check your fuel pump, as they get older they also don't pump as much gas to the carb, so you could change the carb and still have an issue.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don’t believe fuel evaporation is happening that quickly. My ‘85 had its Qjet rebuilt about 10 years ago, and it can sit a day, a week or more and one pump to set the choke, turn the key and ‘nunna na nunna na voom’.
If you’re pumping either it’s leaking out or your choke isn’t working. (My old Buick requires a little pumpage, but it has no choke).
Patrick

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like my problem is mine alone. But, I am encouraged by some of you saying after the rebuild the problem got better.
Ordered a rebuilt today from Mountain Man.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Patrick, I agree .If you're having to pump 7 times to get it to light just seems it may be some other problem. BILL, I have a later model block that has no driling for a mechanical pumps I have two electric pumps at the tank. Of course one is the main pump and the other is a spare ,just in case ,switched from the interior, therefore I just turn the switch on, push the throttle about 1 1/2 " to set the choke and fire it up.
Back to Mtn Man rebuilds, they honestly do look like BRAND NEW when you get them back. They usually have a pretty quick turn-around also.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Mine had the same problem when I bought it a little over three years ago. I got to the point that every time I started my ElCo, I would pop the hood and pour a bit of gas down the carb (It actually got to the point that the air cleaner hold down nut just got left off.) I'm sure the Mtn Man rebuild will get you back to drivin daily without killing your battery(and your wallet). I didn't know that option back then!

Joe

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm hoping a Mountain Man rebuild will solve my problem, if not completely, at least make it a bit easier to start.

If not, at least I'll have a new carb to replace the 33 year old original.

I would then probably consider the electric fuel pump, but would be back here to get advice from this experienced and talented group.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts