El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Bill, If that carb is 33 years old it needs to be rebuilt anyway !! I expect everything in it is shot. When you get it back, install it and you may or may not need to set the idle speed ,BUT don't touch the mixture screws as Ted will flow those for your engine. If you don't have a new gasket ,get one, and make sure its the same as came off. I installed mine ,set the idle speed and it hasn't been touched in 7 years . What happens most of the time if it doesn't run right there is another problem causing it . :popcornsmiley:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I also had that problem , I scrapped the smog junk & computer & installed an EB carb & int. manifold & vacuum dist , that helped but still had the problem so I rebuilt the charcoal can but still have gas fumes in garage but no leaks , part of the problem is Ethanal fuel , bad for all carbs , makes the needle valves stick open & gas runs into the engine when not running . I tried using Seafoam fuel treatment & Ethanol free fuel , helped for a while but doing it again , I also changed out all rubber fuel lines to ethanol proof fuel lines . I tried all these things now I'm trying ethanol free fuel & Seafoam together . stay tuned .

·
Registered
939 Posts
Edelbrock (Idlebroke) carbs are notoriously rich out of the box; they’ll start on a car with no choke but will run very rich. I’m thinking the op’s best bet is to fix the one thing that’s broken, not replace half a grand worth of stuff that isn’t.
Patrick

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
The EB is OK I get 17-19 mpg but I wish I had known about MM Carbs 10 years ago when I did the swap , I wouldn't have to change the manifold .

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Bill, If your emission equip. is working ok you can just simply have the Quad rebuilt by Mtn Man.. IF,you're thinking about dumping the computer and emissions I would HIGHLY recommend talking with some of the guys that are VERY good at that. The reason you need to wait if you're going to go computer less is that it takes a NON FEEDBACK Quadrajet for no computer. Nothing wrong with the emissions system as long as it works. BY THE WAY,if you go to a non feedback Quadrajet carb your intake manifold will be fine !

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the good advice, Wayne.
I live in the Greater Houston area and our cars have to be emissions tested.
But luckily, since mine is registered as an Antique I don't have to have inspections done.
But, nonetheless I'm staying with the computer controlled Quadrajet with emissions equipment.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a lifetime guaranteed stock Quadrajet from Guaranteed Carburetors out of Florida for a little over $200, free shipping and they wanted my old one back but didn't charge a core charge. It's been running great ever since. My '76 SS had the issue with the gas leaking out of the bowl and at one point in the middle of cranking it over it back fired and blew my muffler wide open. Scared the crap out of me.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Bill, when i bought my new 84 ElCam I got 24-25 mpg on the road regularly and my non feedback system with no computer gets the same . My point being that in your case if the system works there's no real point in changing it. Just keep it in good shape.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Ross, Thanks for your feedback on guaranteed carbs and I'm sure they are just fine,BUT you will never convince the ones of us that have been using Mtn Man to switch . Sure hate the day they hang it up !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed an electric fuel pump, in-line with the mechanical and only use it to pump gas to the carb. start the car and flip the electric pump switch off. It beats using a half a can of starter fluid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
BillK,
Please keep me posted on how you make out with this.
I have the starting problem also if the cars sits for a day or so. Have to crank it for a couple seconds first. But once it starts, it will restart immediately any time after that. Unless it sits for a day or so again.
FYI:I might live near you. I live by between Houston/Galveston

·
Registered
1 Posts
The secondary metering well plugs are leaking, and it will need a new float. You can seal the plugs with a good fuel proof epoxy and the kit will come with an additional sponge to help seal as well. They leak fuel into the intake manifold and the extended cranking is from the fuel pump refilling the fuel bowl. But in my opinion, Fuel injection is best. new ones are easy to install and They run so much better. The down fall is price... The driving experience is worth it.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Vinny, I'm in Rosenberg. Where specifically are you?
That's a very nice ride you have.
I did notice you are still running the stock wheels, but the tires appear to be bigger/wider tires than original.
I've wanted to put bigger/wider tires on my car, but don't want to give up my stock wheels.
How did you manage the tire/wheel combination you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have a suggestion. I had the same problem along with other problems with my carb.
It would crank, it would stall, I took it to several mechanics all they did was empty my wallet.
I was at a speedometer expert and told him of all my problems with the carb and I did not know where to take it that I could trust. It was my best day when he told me to take it to Allen Bills at S and S Performance at 3429 Frick Rd. Houston Texas 77086 tel: 281 445 7996. When I first met Allen, just talking to him I knew he was the person I was looking for to help me solve my problem. He had over 100 carbs sent to him to fix,
There were 3 other customers with carbs in hand to drop off for repair. I drove my 1983 El CAMINO to him
told him to call me when it was fixed. He fixed it and it cranked first time every time. It was a happy day for me. I have not taken my Elk to anyone else, period. He is the best in Texas. Other mechanic take their problem cars to Allen. Allen is great he has several patents relating to carbs. He does not advertise, he does not need to, he is always busy, don’t expect it to be fixed quick, he is always busy. He in my opinion the best. People from other states send their problems to Allen. He is the greatest, he solved my problem.
LeonStarnes, Houston, Texas

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone mentioned changing the mechanical fuel pump? The diaphragm will decay and leak fuel backward through the line after a day or two of sitting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
BillK,

Don't want to hijack this thread, but to answer your tire question the are 215/75R14 mounted on stock rims. No clearance problems.
I am in Friendswood. Not that far from you.
Please let me know how you make out with the carb. As someone suggested I might try the fuel pump first. Easy/cheap.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts