El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bill , I live in fort bend county too. You car does not need emissions testing no matter what plate you have on it. It is over 24 years old. Yes the gas could be flowing back from fuel pump. You can buy an external fuel filter with a check valve and see if that stops your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello that is normal for most all chevys in 80's Crank for about a second or to, then stop pump accelerator several times hold to floor and start cranking again. it should crank they were bad about loosing prime in the 80's. worked for G M and they were bad about that sitting on the shipping lot for a few days when new. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I also had that problem , I scrapped the smog junk & computer & installed an EB carb & int. manifold & vacuum dist , that helped but still had the problem so I rebuilt the charcoal can but still have gas fumes in garage but no leaks , part of the problem is Ethanal fuel , bad for all carbs , makes the needle valves stick open & gas runs into the engine when not running . I tried using Seafoam fuel treatment & Ethanol free fuel , helped for a while but doing it again , I also changed out all rubber fuel lines to ethanol proof fuel lines . I tried all these things now I'm trying ethanol free fuel & Seafoam together . stay tuned .
It seems to be working so far , I never had to crank the starter for more than 10 seconds about 3 times , as soon as the fuel pump filled up the float bowls it would start right up always after sitting for many weeks .now the fumes seem to be gone & it starts right up .

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Having to crank a starter for 10 seconds is still not right ! Its better than cranking for 20 seconds but still not right !

·
Registered
158 Posts
As for my 2 cents, I've had starting issues like you have mentioned in earlier posts on most of the carb cars that I've owned after setting for a day or more. Crank a few times to get fuel into the carb and set the choke and fire up. Then again if it doesn't start the first time. The cars that I have owned with fuel injection fire up right now after setting the choke. What I did with some of the cars that I've owned, I would install an electric fuel pump by the gas tank and remove the stock pump. Turn the ignition key and listen for the electric pump to stop pumping, set the choke and fire right up every time. My opinion is that the fuel can evaporate in the carb from the heat of the motor and leak back down the fuel line over time. I have that issue with my El Camino now. Nature of the beast. I plan on installing an electric fuel pump some time down the road. One way to look at the cranking is that while cranking a cold motor, your oiling the engine before startup. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
First, I want to thank all you folks who recommended Mountain Man for a rebuilt carburetor.
I ordered one, put it on and only had to adjust the idle a tiny bit. And, it my Camino runs like a champ. I've even discovered a whole new passing gear with real gusto.
So, put me down as another El C owner who would recommend Mountain Man.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Bill, Hate to rub it in ,BUT, told you so !! Mtn Man just can't be beat !! You'll be good to go for a long time now, as long as someone doesn't start "tweaking " it. Great Christmas present you got,ENJOY IT !! :sleigh::chimney

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
While on this Carb Discussion there were a couple of you friends that said you lived near me being in Rosenberg, Texas.
Do you have any interest in finding a central location and meeting up for lunch or dinner? I love a chance to visit with you and check out your Rides.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
For those of you who said they also had a starting problem after their El C sat a while, I'd like to pass along a tip. This isn't original with me, but came from Mountain Man Fuel Systems. Without pumping the accelerator simply turn on the ignition and spin the engine for a few seconds, and immediately after that pump the accelerator 3-4 times. Then resume cranking. and for me the engine starts right up. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts