El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, WEll after posting some photos of my car I'm starting to get mixed feelings from a few folks and thats got me digging deeper into the past of this car. But I'm stumbling alot here and hoping some of you all can help me.

This is what I have learned from the chevy dealer about my car.

Vin # Description
3 ~ Mexico Built
G ~ General Motors
C ~ Chev Truck
C ~ 4001-5000 GVWR - Hyd Brakes
W ~ El Camino, Caballero 4x2 or El Camino Panel Delivery & Caballero 4x2
8 ~ 1/2 ton El CAmino, Caballero
0 ~ Pickup Delivery (El camino, Caballero)
H ~ V8 5.0 4 BBL
7 ~ Check Digit
G ~ 1986
S ~ *does not give info for a "S"*
919027 ~ Assy line number

Please, if you know where I can take this number and process it to get more infor about my car I would greatly appriciate it. I'd like to know original paint and int color as well as body type. Thank you all for the best info possible!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,776 Posts
There should be a label on the inside of the glove box door with all the RPO codes & paint codes !!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,776 Posts
Hi, WEll after posting some photos of my car I'm starting to get mixed feelings from a few folks and thats got me digging deeper into the past of this car. But I'm stumbling alot here and hoping some of you all can help me.

This is what I have learned from the chevy dealer about my car.

Vin # Description
3 ~ Mexico Built
G ~ General Motors
C ~ Chev Truck
C ~ 4001-5000 GVWR - Hyd Brakes
W ~ El Camino, Caballero 4x2 or El Camino Panel Delivery & Caballero 4x2
8 ~ 1/2 ton El CAmino, Caballero
0 ~ Pickup Delivery (El camino, Caballero)
H ~ V8 5.0 4 BBL
7 ~ Check Digit
G ~ 1986
S ~ *does not give info for a "S"*
919027 ~ Assy line number

Please, if you know where I can take this number and process it to get more infor about my car I would greatly appriciate it. I'd like to know original paint and int color as well as body type. Thank you all for the best info possible!
S= Ramos Arizpe (mexico)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

sadness i have not seen that label. must not give up hope. the other paper isnt behind glovebox over heater and not with fuel tank... gonna hate to remove the headliner and seats and carpet. especially if i dont think its original... oh oh oh i found behind glove box a tiny block that looks like it held a power window switch its broken but looked like it cliped into a door panel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Someone also decided the 86 I have did not need the SPIL either as I have searched for it but with no luck. Not sure what the reason is in removing them and not keeping it with the vehicle but seems there a a lot out there that have been removed. I have looked for a build sheet but no luck with that so far anyway. I was able to get the original invoice back when they where actually free from GM. Now they are 50 bucks and some here have said now that you can't get them on Mexico built cars. Not quite sure how GM was able to get mine if the new company that is now making money can't get them. It may be worth a shot if you want to check into it. Here is the link to check it out.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My 83 has Canada stamped all over it so I assume it's an import too. No wonder for all of the metric crap on these.
In this day, when Harleys are about 50% imported parts, what can you say?

By the way, along about 1976-78 was when GM started swtching over to metric fasteners. The policy was that no part would be retooled just to make it metric, but any part that WAS retooled was made metric. This meant that for about 8 years there, you had to have two full sets of wrenches, because you never knew whether a fastener would be SAE or metric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts