El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just joined ELC today and its a great site to get info with lots of helpfull people. Im in the middle of an 86 El Camino project. Upgrading from a 4.3 fuel injected to a moderately worked 5.7 carburated crate engine, trans, etc. Unfortunately the car has the basic dash layout. I want to upgrade to the full gauge cluster. Based on what ive read its pretty simple swap if I can get the cluster assembly with the circuit board and tach components, change the sensors to gauge units and run a wire for the tach to the distributor. Am I missing anything? Also is anyone out there selling a cluster that will work in an 86?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of changing out my instrument cluster to a digital maded by Dakota dash. NOt CHEAP. 700 - 800 DOLLARS. It will be made to the specs for an 86
El Camino.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Seems like that, when you find a donor make sure you get the wiring also, some may have different wires along with the printed circuit that goes on the back of the inst panel. You. may have to add some wires to the plug. I am not sure what all will be different with the computer controlled stuff

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
This swap has been done a lot. There is a good thread with a write up on the site here. Do a search and it should pop up. IIRC, there are a couple of wires that have to be re-pinned in the connector.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts