El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to el camino central I am trying to decide what color to paint my car i am thinking about a blue color but i am not sure what shade would look good and about a base color or a metallic paint?
I will be going with a maaco paint job because of cost. any input would help. thanks billy

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hey Billy, Welcome aboard bud. Sorry, can't help on the color, only you can decide that. Your the one looking at it every day. Good luck and enjoy it.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Look at the shop's jobs --usually outside waiting to be picked up--then when and if you get yours done there look it over very carefully--i had a porsche done there and they did a good job for the money--Look at the elko gallery for a color you like--remember it is more $$ to paint the door jams etc--Glenn then post pic's ok??:beer:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well I don't hink you can go wrong with dark blue (metallic) and silvrer!
Kinda like americas favorite football team!:texas:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Billy, good luck with your color choice, i would agree with Viet Vet about checking the gallery, there are plenty of pics to help you make your choice which is easier when you see different colors on the same model year as yours. have fun
p.s. welcome aboard:nanawrench:

G

·
Welcome to the site man. Good to have a new members join. Anyway you have to just look at different cars around the area you live in and online. Also Gallery here at elcaminocentral is also a great place to get ideas on what to get.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Then when you decide on color / colors, look at Maacos paint chips for somthing that's close. They don't have ALL Colors, but should have somthing real close. BUT DO GO WITH A MATALIC if you can.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I just got my 86 Elky painted at maaco and I was really impressed and I paid the extra for the clear coat and it really makes it shine.. take a look at the before and after pics I love my color and I got the presidential job when it was have price in march.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input. i am going with the presidental with an intergrated clear. one more question the dark blue does it show inperfections like a black would?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Darker colors DO SHOW more. Even more so if it's a solid color. If there is Metallic in the Paint, the imperfections seem to blend more. There still there, just not as noticeable.:secret:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't know about later models but through 3rd gen sheet metal quality was BAD with a lot of waves and shiny dark colors really showed the imperfections ,whearas light colors mask the problem.The waves can be done away with but you are talking about $3000 plus paint jobs.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I personally my shade of gray and mine has the blueish gray interior and with the bed coated I think it looks pretty sharp, but not flashy and when I get the white pinstripes and the gray tonneau on and the new center caps it should look awesome. but I always did like the grays, now if I could afford it i think some nice ghost flames would really look nice

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm partial to hemi orange myself ( almost the same as chevy engine orange just with some small flakes it it) tho the pic's make it look red?:dontknow:?:poke:Glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I would stay away from the dark colors, every cheap job I've seen from Maaco with a dark color passes the 50 foot test but up close the orange peel is really bad. (Mine included) I had a classic pickup done a few years ago in white and it came out super. Do, I say Do! get the UV clear coat. It came out super on both trucks! I'll have to admit those dark colors look really sharp, but buy a duster. I won't take my baby out without the once over!

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you have the two-tone chrome run with it, go through the gallery write down the pages which catch your eye, and visit them a few times. when I purchased mine it had the two-tone chrome but it was painted one single color, maroon. I brought it back to the origanal silver and metalic gray. it works for me. I'm on page 60 of the fifth gens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts