El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do i need for rear glas install of 86 El camino ??? This what i know so far need help??
+ Rear Glass
+ Butyl Caulking Tube 11.5 oz
+ Clips #???
+ Trim Black or Chrome

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I explained it all step-by-step in your first thread. you NEED the ribbon also. The ribbon holds the glass in position. Without the ribbon the glass will slide down on the wet sealer. A professional who does it everyday will have little rubber shims to hold the glass up and prevent the sliding. Also try to understand a glass guy is about making $$$. If they can do it quick with just a tube of the sealer that they get much cheaper because it's an off-brand bought in large quantities that's what they'll use. That's why they can do it cheaper than you can buy the better materials for.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With that being said Need List
+ Rear Window
+ Ribbon Seal
+ Butyl Caulking
+ Trim Clips
+ Trim Black or Chrome

·
2,566 Posts
Ok and get the primer mentioned by Fixitman1 in the first thread. It comes in a can with a brush mounted to the cap. take a gasket scraper and get all the old material out of there. If you scratch the paint you can either use some black spray paint or just the brush on primer. The primer alone is fine. Then install all your clips. From here just pick up from the other thread. Trial fit the glass, mark with tape, install ribbon on glass, install, then sealer, then moldings. Again try to keep it dry for 24 hours if you can. A light rain won't really hurt but if it can be avoided all the better.

·
2,566 Posts
No problem. Just trial fit it a few times until you get comfortable handling the glass with your helpers. Try to find help that listens. LOL! I know it's not always easy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the last itme i had mine pulled and resealed it was only 40$ not worth me fooling with it for that

·
2,566 Posts
Well it's nice to learn how to do things and a great feeling of accomplishment to be able to stand back and say "I did that"!
Besides if he follows our directions it'll last another 30 years. Not so sure about those hit n run glass guys with the $40-$50 reseal jobs. The material has to cost them $10-$15 for the off brand sealer, window cleaner, paper towels,etc. So the guy works for $25? OK if you're doing 10 or more per day maybe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Leaky

Indeed!

I've had a few experiances with "Pro" installs that leaked. And another "pro" scratched the heck out of my interior pillar covers. :let_it_all_out: Was'nt worth the 20% discount I had to beg for afterwards.

·
2,566 Posts
Yeah exactly7. How much can they care about it for $40?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts