El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '86 El Camino that I received from my grandpa as a gift, but have had to fix a couple of things on it. I put anew starter in and a new battery, and it was running great until a few days ago I started it and it died instantly. I started it again and gave it some gas, and once again it died. It will keep running if I am giving it gas, but it will not idle! I've tried numerous times with the same result. I'm not very car-savvy as it is, so it is probably an obvious problem...but really needing some help on how I might fix it! Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
not much info to go on but i would say carb needs rebuilt, it sound like it sat a while before you got it, also change the fuel filter. it also may be a weak diaphragm in the fuel pump but i would not put that at the top of the list.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I would wager on the fuel filter in the carburetor being clogged. However, if you wait a bit, lots of wisdom will come your way.
Craig

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is your elc still on the computer? If it is have the codes read for a starter. In the mean time, disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and check the filter, and go ahead and replace. If its clean, stick the end of the fuel line in a quart jar and see if the fuel pump is pumping. It should squirt strong streams of fluid when someone turns the engine over. If it does not, replace the fuel pump.
This is as good a place to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '86. Reach under the gas tank and give it a good wack with your hand. The fuel pump in the tank may be stuck. When I did this the car would start and run fine. New pump, no problem.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '86. Reach under the gas tank and give it a good wack with your hand. The fuel pump in the tank may be stuck. When I did this the car would start and run fine. New pump, no problem.
This might work if the owner has a fuel injected V6. The V8's fuel pump are mechanical and are bolted to the side of the block and run off the cam.

Doug

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Sounds like some trash in the idle circuits of the carb to me. If it is getting enough fuel to run above idle it for sure is getting enough to sit and idle. In other words probably not the pump.
the problem with the little filter in the inlet to the carb is the spring behind them lets it just bypass all the trash after it gets stopped up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '86 El Camino that I received from my grandpa as a gift, but have had to fix a couple of things on it. I put anew starter in and a new battery, and it was running great until a few days ago I started it and it died instantly. I started it again and gave it some gas, and once again it died. It will keep running if I am giving it gas, but it will not idle! I've tried numerous times with the same result. I'm not very car-savvy as it is, so it is probably an obvious problem...but really needing some help on how I might fix it! Thanks!
I had the same problem and shecked everything before I finally replaced the hei distributor and BAM it runs better than ever. I can't say for sure it's ur problem but this was my experience. Hope it helps.

·
Supporting Member
4,405 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but did you properly set the choke before starting the car? Without Fuel Injection, the accelerator needs to be floored ONCE before attempting to start . It's also possible that the choke has failed. If the engine is cold, remove the air cleaner and look at the front two barrels of the carb. The little plate that fits inside those barrels should be open. Now, floor the accelerator once, release the accelerator, and then go back and look at the plate ( don't start the car). It should be almost closed. If so, the choke is setting.

Problem could also be the choke vacuum pulloff not working, but that is not a common issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with previously mentioned comments, start with fuel filter to make sure it is not partially clogged, and cleaning out the carb would not be a bad idea either. You can also try to keep it running with your foot on the gas for about 2 minutes or so after that time even if the choke is not working the engine should stay running on its own. Also you mentioned you got the car as a gift was the vehicle local to you before? just curious if altitude change could play a part in what you are dealing with as the amount of fuel needed may have changed depending on how high or low the vehicle was previously.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A shop is out of the question. Don't trust em. At least not in oklahoma city. I can fix anything just have problems diagnosing. I have kept it running for 2 minutes and more and it seems the longer I keep it going the worse it gets. I haven't driven it in a few days and when I went to start her up today she seemed to idle rough. But idle. I went to go to my sister's and didn't make it very far. Sputtering, dying and the electrical issue started acting up badly. That's about all I've done. I have a new double roller timing chain for her. Just got it today. And a complete gasket set. Including the valve seals. A buddy of mine said it might just need to be adjusted. I think over the next few days I'm going to do the timing chain and the gaskets. I'm hoping to be able to switch out the Holley for this Quadrajet I have.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
This might work if the owner has a fuel injected V6. The V8's fuel pump are mechanical and are bolted to the side of the block and run off the cam.

Doug
:geek: Yep Yep Yep!! That was my thought. I to agree that settlement,
has clogged the fuel filter. I would start there first. easy and cheep
repair. If he has the quad 4 barrel, it has a small filter in the carb.
If it is I would ad a inline filter before the carb, if he dosn't already
have one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts