El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'86 El Camino in progress.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance.

I have been tossing around the idea of swapping out the stock 305 in my 86' El Camino with a 350. Seeing as I know basically nothing about the specs, what are the chances that I can find a derelict car or pickup with a working engine, possibly transmission as well, that could be changed out without too much hassle?

What year range would the basic specs fit up well enough to drop and go, as it were?

·
Registered
886 Posts
One thing about small block chevy engines is you can install any combination of engine and transmissions into your 86 El Camino. What will be a factor is whether you want to retain the computer control carburetor setup and a 2004r or 700r4 transmission.

So, to answer your question of finding a derelict car or pickup and changing that setup without too much hassle, the answer is YES...it can be done! The deciding factors will be what you want done and how large is your budget.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Im guessing most 70's tru 80's should be plug and play as far as the mounts go. Is there an issue as far as car vs. truck?
I have been looking at a few crate engines and newer transmissions, but that would, with installation, double the cost of what I paid for the car. Dont get me wrong, If I had the cash to burn, I would do it tomorrow. However it runs and drives just great as it is now, so I thought I would keep a lookout for a someone who wants to get rid of an old hulk that has been darkening their driveway, and go from there.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Good luck. I don’t know where you are, but around North Georgia, the days of buying a car to harvest the engine got dicey ten or more years ago. (Not just scarce but expensive and less ‘honest’.) If what you have runs great, leave it alone and drive it while you get to know the car and the feel for engines and ideas for upgrades and set a goal and budget. If you blow your budget and don’t like the engine you buy, you’re a lot worse off than now. Now you have money and a good running truck.
Patrick

PS-I’d budget for rear gears (low to mid threes depending upon trans), transmission (700/200 are nice but nothing wrong with a T350), and a good torquey small block (I hear 383s are excellent) from Summit, Jegs, Scoggins, etc. with a good (not cheap) converter. Mild cam (not a Thumpr). GM HEI (with vacuum advance) recurved for the combo and Delco or Taylor wires, fed by a Qjet from an esteemed builder (not the parts store) not an Edlebrock if you want any economy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am around most of my city all day every day. There are 2 late 60's to early 70s Rivera boattails rotting away in driveways, numerous early to mid 70' stingray vettes doing the same. 2 I have seen have been show quality. Have seen an AMC Javelin, a 71 (I think) continental, a really early firebird, and several El Caminos/Collabros of similar model to mine. I have seen a 79 camaro, stock, garaged, with under 35k miles on it.The lady laughed at me when I asked if she wanted to sell it. There are 4 others I know of just rotting away in driveways. I lucked out finding my Camino. I asked a neighbor, he knocked on the door, and a week later I rumbled home with a huge grin on my face. There are lots of 70's-80's era pickups just rusting away in driveways around here. I am going to enjoy what I have, and if I can get a good deal on an off chance like I did with my baby, then itl'l happen, or I will add a step side or blazer to my driveway to monster truck out.
I have a shop that specializes in restoration, so I am in good hands when it comes to information about what I will need and what it will take for getting my **** done up right. It is all about resources and opportunity at this point. I would like to be able to cruise Hot August Nights in my baby without being totally humiliated.

Oh, and at one of the shops around here that I have visited, I saw, and heard, a real life Ferrari Dino being worked on. Also a custom Aston DBS so beautiful I had to change my shorts, and a Lister race car and a Ferrari 356. A few decimal points out of my league though.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sounds like you have better pickings than we do! It’s good that you have a shop you trust, too. I’d still suggest making sure the engine you swap in has been ‘gone through’ either by buying a crate motor or building what you find.
Patrick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So, the upgrade is in progress. 2005 5.3L LM7 complete with harness and ECM is torn down and being rebuilt now. Isnt in bad condition at all but going to do an almost full rebuild because why not at this point. Bearings, cam, rings, valves, etc... Still cheaper than a turnkey, and I get EFI!

Original shop I went to is no longer a factor.

While the engine and transmission are fairly straightforward, if big ticket kind of items, its all the rest of it that just buries you money wise. There is the conversion kits, the wiring kits to fit the ECM to the old school wiring, the wiring kits for the fuel system, the fuel system itself, and screw it, rebuild the entire front end while its torn apart instead of piecing it together here and there as the parts give up the ghost bit by bit every year down the road. And why not replace the leaf springs while you are at it? How bout some new headlights, these are pretty dim...

But we are in progress! Parts are piling up in my garage, and paychecks are piling up in my account because of illnesses and shipping backlogs, and we are getting there. Just a half an hour or so at the shop, and all the parts will be ordered and on the way. Looking at 2x what I thought I was going to spend (oh, sweet, sweet ignorance....) and about 1/3 of what I was worried that I was going to have to spend, so its going well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts