El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Good luck. I don’t know where you are, but around North Georgia, the days of buying a car to harvest the engine got dicey ten or more years ago. (Not just scarce but expensive and less ‘honest’.) If what you have runs great, leave it alone and drive it while you get to know the car and the feel for engines and ideas for upgrades and set a goal and budget. If you blow your budget and don’t like the engine you buy, you’re a lot worse off than now. Now you have money and a good running truck.
Patrick

PS-I’d budget for rear gears (low to mid threes depending upon trans), transmission (700/200 are nice but nothing wrong with a T350), and a good torquey small block (I hear 383s are excellent) from Summit, Jegs, Scoggins, etc. with a good (not cheap) converter. Mild cam (not a Thumpr). GM HEI (with vacuum advance) recurved for the combo and Delco or Taylor wires, fed by a Qjet from an esteemed builder (not the parts store) not an Edlebrock if you want any economy.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sounds like you have better pickings than we do! It’s good that you have a shop you trust, too. I’d still suggest making sure the engine you swap in has been ‘gone through’ either by buying a crate motor or building what you find.
Patrick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts