El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 1986 CHEVY El CAMINO CONQUISTA WITH 62,000 ORIGINAL MILES, TODAY; EVERYONE HERE WAS GREAT IN GETTING THE PROBLEM WITH THE FAST IDLE PROBLEM SOLVED...I WANT TO REMOVE THE CA SMOG ON THE CAR...BECAUSE I AM IN AZ, IN AN AREA THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE SMOG CERT...THE VEHICLE HAS AIR CONDITIONING WHICH MUST STAY (TODAY IT WAS 110), AND IS FULLY LOADED WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES, I WANT TO CHANGE OUT THE CA SMOG QJET FOR A BETTER CARB AND INTAKE MANIFOLD, THIS WILL BE MY A DAILY DRIVER...IT HAS A 305 WITH THE 4 SPEED AUTO TRANS...I NEED TO KNOW IF THE VEHICLE WILL RUN WITH THE SMOG JUNK OFF OF IT, (SMOG PUMP AND ALL... HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS? AND MOST IMPORTANT WHAT ARE THE BEST PARTS TO USE? WHAT CARB AND WHAT MANIFOLD IS BEST FOR STOCK 305 ENGINE

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
This is just my 2 cents, so that's about what it is worth.....

If this were an earlier Camino (like an 80 to 84) or had a larger engine, I could see the gain in removing the emissions equipment. But I honestly feel that by 1986, GM had the system pretty well sorted out and I don't think you'll see any gains by removing the system and replacing it with a mechanical distributor and fixed metering carburetor. The 305 is a decent engine, but it is very hard to make a substantial change in performance AND get value for your dollar. I think you'll spend a lot of money and do a lot of tuning, jetting, timing and sorting before you see the same performance and mileage you are getting with the factory setup.

Others are bound to disagree, but I'd spend the money on a 350 before I did anything to the 305. I believe a 350 with your existing smog setup will be a much better daily driver.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I HAVE A 1986 CHEVY El CAMINO CONQUISTA WITH 62,000 ORIGINAL MILES, TODAY; EVERYONE HERE WAS GREAT IN GETTING THE PROBLEM WITH THE FAST IDLE PROBLEM SOLVED...I WANT TO REMOVE THE CA SMOG ON THE CAR...BECAUSE I AM IN AZ, IN AN AREA THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE SMOG CERT...THE VEHICLE HAS AIR CONDITIONING WHICH MUST STAY (TODAY IT WAS 110), AND IS FULLY LOADED WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES, I WANT TO CHANGE OUT THE CA SMOG QJET FOR A BETTER CARB AND INTAKE MANIFOLD, THIS WILL BE MY A DAILY DRIVER...IT HAS A 305 WITH THE 4 SPEED AUTO TRANS...I NEED TO KNOW IF THE VEHICLE WILL RUN WITH THE SMOG JUNK OFF OF IT, (SMOG PUMP AND ALL... HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS? AND MOST IMPORTANT WHAT ARE THE BEST PARTS TO USE? WHAT CARB AND WHAT MANIFOLD IS BEST FOR STOCK 305 ENGINE

I asked similar questions and I think you should edit your question and change to RED "DAILY DRIVER" or you will have $10,000.00 under your hood before you know it. I'm living proof I just decided to change out the complete motor but mine has 300,000 miles and still runs great. That 305 must have been built well and if I were you I wouldn't change anything unless it's needed. I'm the original owner of my 87 and only have replaced one freeze plug on the block itself. The only reason I'm doing the swap was they had a great price on a new crate 350 and I'm taking my time before the swap. :secret::secret:
Good luck
Robert

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just cause its from cali dosent mean the carb was strictly tuned for our smog. Ive never heard of a cali carb. Same carb they all came with to all states and same smog equipment they all came with... Now saying that kerno is right would not really gain any horses taking it all out but if you must. U need a non ccc distributor one with a vacuum advance, a non ccc carb or aftermarket like a holley, would change the manifolds to headers and and you could change the intake to a non egr if you would like.. it will clean up the engine bay and the headers will help it breath a bit but dont hold your breath on a big hp gain..

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
The only parts that are truly "smog" related are the air pump and cat. You can remove both if you desire with no performance issues. The rest of the sensors, etc are there to manage your fuel for the best mileage/performance. It is as close to fuel injection as you can get with a carb. For a daily driver, it probably can't be beat ( if it is tuned right and running properly).
Typically, the only performance gain you might see is the car might run slightly faster due to your wallet being much lighter! Like Josh said, it's not just the carb, but add in a new distributor and a way to lock up your trans. It get's expensive in a hurry.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your looking for a performance upgrade, have you thought about a rear axle change first? My 87 Conquista came with a 2.56 rear. It had great highway milage but felt like an economy mini van in town. I went with a 3.42 rear and speedo adapter on the transmision to correct the speedometer.

Jim

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ca smog does have its own carb and calibration, just leave it alone until it starts to act up then go from there. removeing the smog stuff will get very expensive with little return for your trouble as stated above..the stock 305 in the elco is a 8.5 to 1 lg4 motor and you wont see much gain in performance and may loose some mpg in the process

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again thanks for the input, I removed the smog pump, and it made no significant difference to the running...but it did clean up the engine compartment...and all those damn hoses are gone...I think I will leave this one alone now keep it and use it as my wife's daily driver...get her out of the GMC with the 454 Gas Hog...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts