El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've poked around the site for a while looking for an answer so I wouldn't have to bug you guys, but I haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

So, here's what I'm hoping to get advice on:

I have a stock 86' El Camino with a 305. In an ideal scenario, I would like to put a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler on my vehicle, single in, dual out. I would like the muffler to be under the center of the vehicle, instead of in the back (as it comes stock). I would like to hide the pipes as much as possible, though if I have to have the tips showing, that is a compromise I'll make. I would like one tip on each side of the vehicle, to balance sound.

The issue is that I've talked to a couple muffler shops, and they're acting like I'm asking for their first born child. Does anyone have experience with what I'm trying to do, and if so, where did you mount the muffler and how did you route your pipes?

I appreciate the help, and apologize if I'm asking a question you've answer a million times.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I haven't seen those mufflers in a long time ago. They originally were longways (across) behind the rear end and the tailpipes would come out behiind the tires. The inlet would be on the pass side at the bottom and the outlet at the top and the outlet on the drivers side would be at the top of the muffler there also. I don't know what type of muffler you could get for the ELKY that would fit in front of the rear end that would do what you want. I have seen F**d's that were about 8" round and 3' long with 2 outlets in the rear for 2 tailpipes one was really long to go to the drivers side and the other shorter to go to the pass side. Long time ago worked in auto shop doing exhaust when the dual conversions were popular. You could have a single inlet and single 3" outlet and build a Y for it or see if a exhaust shop could build it for you (all of them can't be inept at making something like that) then run your tailpipes/turndowns as needed.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The reason its difficult is because on these El Caminos, the tranny crossmember doesnt allow for a pipe on the drivers side. So the pasenger side will tuck away nice and neat, but the driver side will hang down for everyone to see. Id know... I have this set-up. Ill take a few pics after a bit to show what I mean

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can get the dual hump for less than 200 bucks, yes that is a lot. But most from G-Force and those other companies sell for 250+20 in s/h fees. Ice man is fairly well reputed for his cross members they offer better clearance than the square built slots not just among our Ekly's, but he is respected by the Malibu's and Monte forums too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Body-Mali...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c208a4d4f

This pipe system on ebay wont fit directly, but could be modified, though it'd be 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of getting new pipe probably. Cutting and re-welding the pipe is just as much work as routing new pipe, sometimes even more so actually. But here is are good links to consider, the ebay auction below is meant to be used with the link below it, NOVA/Camaro styled headers though will fit an El Camino, will not fit this style of pipe setup as it's meant for OEM replacement headers for the Monte Carlo/El Camino/ Malibu and Cutlass crowd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-EXHAUS...s=Model:El+Camino&vxp=mtr&hash=item2314d90ce2

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1986/chevrolet/el_camino/exhaust/exhaust_header_kit.html

The ultimate deal? Well you may just be in luck. I have true dual exhaust with 2" piping that th previous owner commissioned for the 305(quite the hotrod boat anchor 305!) Anyhow the 305 had a cracked piston so I got a crate 350, I kept the exhaust because I didn't know any better(2.25 is as small as a 350 should go). My passenger side is the richer of the too so extra torque has made the manifold leak, I even snapped the doughnut for the ball and socket flange with so much torque camming over(20 dollar re-flange and extra pipe fixed no problem). The ebay auction setup wont HIDE the mufflers that much as they were welded outward and will sit visible proably just behind the rear tire, my 40 series are tucked in nice though. I have turn-downs but the over the axle bend exits the rear and actually helps hang my turndowns(I could chop that for you and get deep tone and stay hidden if you welded it on verses left the turn downs). I've done a few exhuast's for Elky's and just haven;t had time to redo mine with bigger pipe as the 2" is too small for my torquey 350. But I might as well sell my setup, It'd be easier to sell the 40 series with it, we could talk if you're interested??? I could make a video. And let you see what kind of things you'll need for your exhuast and it'll help ya out even if you don't buy mine?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I think you guys are missing his question.

He is wanting to use most of his stock setup and run single exhaust from the manifolds into a single muffler that has dual outlets. He wants that muffler under the car instead of behind the rear axle like it is normally.

Kyle, your best bet is to find a guy that does custom exhaust systems and have them do the work. Muffler shops generally just swap out mufflers and their quality of work can be less than what you will want, sometimes.

Now as far as what you want to do, that is doable. And if you want to hide the exhaust tips, you want what is called "turn downs" where the end will turn down towards the ground instead of exiting past the outside edge of the truck.

Any reason you want to do with a dual outlet? Even having the muffler infront of the axle, you will not have much pipes behind it that are dual, and the main reason to have a single in, dual out muffler is so you can appear to have dual exhaust, which means the exhaust tips would be visable. Since you want to hide everything, it would make more sense to me to have a single in, single out muffler and then have it end in a turn down after the axle. But moving the muffler up is doable. Here is a link to my setup, granted it is dual exhaust the whole way through.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Stock 84 and 85 Grand Nationals ran a single in and dual out, I am unsre if these would fit under the El camino. Advance auto used to carry a muffler to work with this system, it was made by Walker.Unfortunately they would have to look it up in the paper catalog, and I am not sure if they still have access to them. I will see if I can dig up the part #. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I looked into walker exhaust and the muffler they show is dual in and dual out I know they made a single in and dual out as I had to find one myself years ago. I will keep digging for a part # as the # listed for 84 and 85 turbo buick was 22395 which as stated shows dual in and dual out. I will try to find the paper catalog I had when Advance got rid of them, and see what they show.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Found catalog and Walker part # shows 18375 Summit carries it for $28.95 Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well know I was offering him duals, if he wants single so bad he could geta dual in and dual out, or get 2" y pipe that merged to a #" solid section, 3 inch pipe, single in and dual out. It's really all the same thing. the shop is gonna charge him an arm and a leg for weld's alone. He wants the muffler hidden under the center of the car? Well he cant go over big bumps because his drive shaft might hit it, or he'll scrape it. Place it immediately to the left or right of the drive shaft and dual it out from there and you're good to go. Exhuast is expensive and I'd think he should keep his options open!
A well built single exhaust will eat duals up alive due to torque..."well built" the factory single is not well built. and thus even a messy dual like mine or the one on ebay is arguably better. And it's easier to find our duals used than a single.
What muffler he wants would need custom brackets attached to the dip behind the seat's under the car, and the smuggler's hold. but the shaft is in the way. the only logical place to put it would be before the gas tank to hide it(I never like my exhuast right there anyhow!). So he can only fit the muffler underneath the passenger side. The ol'e Camaro mufflers like for 71? they are duals(but the inlets are reversed! He'd have one pip enter right next to another's inlet and that'd be some hectic bends require. I redid my buddies 68 Camaro exhuast with that typicaly style he'd need and I cant in good conscious recommend he use it as it would be 90 degrees to drastic in its mopunting. Besides, he couldn't use it with single exhaust anyway. I recommend he go to 2" duals with an H-pipe OR use the existing Y if he's got it and run a dual out that;'s routed to the left of drive saft just in front of the axle under the passeneger side(so it's well hidden), and dual out so the sound is balanced. He'd need over the hump bends and those are lik 100 bucks each on ebay. So he'd have to to dump before the axle angle out to the tire for balanced sound. That way the tip are hidden too! :smileyb: Randy is knowledgeable enough we should listen to him, in my experience he is right about the muffler Drum wants to run. Unless he get's dual in and dual our located before the axle on the passenger side, he wont get to 'have his cake and eat it two'. Sides if the shop gives him a fair price on wleds my system would be plenty for a wild 305 let alone mild 305. this way he'd save some cahs. We all need cash. Why if I get 150 bucks saved I'm slamming my tires out with 3" spacers since they come with the chrome olly bolts needed and my tires will easily clear fenders since the are 25's! Drum? you've got option. All I'm saying. Question is if you wanna spend half a grand for exhaust(I've asked shops and it's usually 300 at least), plus if you want headers that's on your dime. And IF you ever want dual's you'd need the cross member to which is expensive as frick.
Like my signature says. ":nanawrench:Build on a Bidge:nanawrench:" By golly if anyone on here is a spoiled rich kid and can do whatever they want...throw some $$ my way please :poke:(I'd be happy if someone bought me a tank of gas!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Honestly, the reason I was asking about single in/dual out was for the balanced sound of dual pipes without the cost associated with going to true duals. It doesn't seem like it's a cost effective/realistic option at this point though, huh?

So let me see if I understand what you guys are saying...

Option #1: Go to true duals. To do this I would need a custom crossmember to allow the second pipe to come back. Would I also need a custom header? What are some of the popular mufflers that fit under the 86 ElCo (preferably comparable to the rumble of the Flowmaster 40 series)?

Option #2: Stick with single in/single out. Do you guys find the single muffler/pipe to put out decent sound? What are some of the popular mufflers in the scenario, and where do people usually mount them?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Why not run Duals. It would hide the pipes more if you ran it next to the drive shaft it would cost about the same except adding one muffler for duals:beer:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Inlet/Outlet Size: 2.25in./2.25in.
Body Shape: 5in.x8in. Oval
Core Size: 2.5in.
Body Length: 14in.
Need tips? Click here.
12138http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9309http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9309$158.79
this is the Stainless Magnaflow i have on my stock exhaust. I still have the cat on it too.
I had this put back in the original location and the duals exit behind the rear tires. Not so loud that it rattles everything but still with a good rumble.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper
You may not be able to see it behind the sway bar is the muffler with the "duals" exiting behind. I too don't want the exhaust to be noticed. Also, the muffler shop got me a better price, i think about $120 plus $30 for installation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Used the Pypes exhaust on an '85

I've had good luck with a stainless Pypes cat back kit. I ducked the dual hump issue and went straight out the back (not before the wheels).

One thought though, the designers got it right to put the muffler where they did. The cabin noise steps up quite a bit when the mufflers are under the bed -- there's quite a bit of resonance.

Regards,

Win

·
Registered
802 Posts
I cant tell ya about Cali restrictions but as long as you keep your mufflers and cats you should be fine.. but im in Illinois lol so idk.

When I got my El Camino, It had true duals on it and it was kind of a genious set-up. They ran the drivers side pipe under the oil pan and ran it right beside the passenger side pipe all the way back til it got passed the axel, then branched out to the drivers side again. The entire exhaust was hidden except the pipes out the back of course. To have this set-up completely redone by a pro will cost ya around $600. If you can do it yourself, its definitly a learning experience. But follow one of these other guys' ideas if you are on a budget.

One other option that sounds good is to pick the muffler of your choice (single in, single out), buy some exhaust clamps with a 90 degree elbow and bolt it up yourself. You will have a dumped exhaust. It sounds great! Tons of guys on here have this set-up and love it. This will keep your single exhaust set-up and be probably your cheapest route.

Or if your set on a single in, dual out, you can put that on there, buy an extra clamp and 90, and bolt up your 90s so they point towards the sides to balance sound.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never heard of any Cali restrictions dictating exhuast like that, though there is a loop-hole any cop can get you with "modified exhuast". Believe it or not(I have studied law and considered taking the bar, but I want to enlist not argue in a court room), most states allow a ticket and sometimes impounding of any vehicle(provided so many minor driving infractions), that has any exhaust other than stock. The BMW r03? I think stopped making their factory OEM replacement mufflers so if it was damaged or needed replacement a cop could legally cite a ticket for improper exhaust, BMW R's are usually chopped exhaust with a 4 inch glass pack(damn ricers), so cops can pull them over JUST for the fact the the mufflers outlet is bigger than the inlet pipe(illegal in many states due to noise pollution).
In some newer vehicles adding DUALS voids the warrenty, but I've never seen that pre-any-1996 vehicles and El Caminos are far older than that. JarHead has probably got what you want, HOW he positioned it is beyond me, but he does have the clean look you wanted. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get the flowmaster 80 series crossflow brotha its 1 in two out, I had it on my 85 elco with a 305 and it was louder than with my dual 40 series and x pipe exhaust on my 350 right now.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-42583

Pics of the old set up the muffler sits behind the rear and you can't see it unless you get under there wchich would be the case with any location you have it mounted. And i had tips coming out both sides behind the rear tires. :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
You don't need a special crossmember to have dual exhaust. My '80 has full duals with the stock X-member. The driver's side pipe runs back along the frame rail, just under the X-member. It can't be seen from the street.

Jack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts