El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 86 El Camino and was wondering what transmission it has. On the dash it reads like this, P R N D 2 1 . So I'm guessing that I dont have an overdrive tranny, but what else was used in '86?

Thanks
Dustin

P.S. its a 305. Also does someone happen to know what gear ratio would be in the rear-end?

·
Banned
881 Posts
The 86 El Camino came standard with the 3-speed automatic (MX1). The 4-speed OD transmission (MX0) was an option.

The rear end that came standard with the 86 5.0L (LG4) is the 2.41. The 2.56 rear end was standard for the 4.3L EFI V6 (LB4). The 2.73, and 3.08 rear ends were optional and were called the "Performance Ratio" (G92). The 2.73 was the option for the 4.3L and the 3.08 was the option for the 5.0L. Posi rear ends were an option also (G80).

Check the RPO tag in your glovebox for these codes.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ernie G,
That is very helpfull information! I will check it in a few mins. But I have another question... WHICH 3-speed automattic transmission came in El Caminos. I am thinking about putting a shift kit in it for a little firmer shift and need to know the exact tranny.

I love this site. It is extremely hard to find info on El Caminos on the WWW.

Dustin

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well there were only two trannys available that year. The 200c and the 2004r.

Yours is the 200c the 2004r is an overdrive trans.

I wouldn't put a shift kit in a 200c because it can leat to premature failure. It is a weak trans and needs the relatively smooth shift to keep from breaking something and from wearing too quick. The 250c is in the same boat.

I would just run it until it dies then put a better trans behind it. A 350 if you want a 3 speed or a 2004r/700r4 if you want a 4 speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts