El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just to save someone else some valuable time.
Problem: Turn Signals don’t work.

I bought an 86 el camino a few months ago. I have had an ongoing problem with the turn signals. They don’t work at all. Tried the Hazard lights and they worked so it was not the bulbs. I finally found the fuse box under the driver’s knee area and behold- the turn flasher unit was missing! Went to the local Autozone and bought a brand new one and tried to plug it in the fuse fox. It would NOT plug in as the spade plugs were just missing….

I studied the wiring diagrams thinking maybe my car used to be a low-rider with the turn signals being converted to some weird blue neon lights (that are still on the car.) This gave me no help as I was trying to find the wires that went to the fuse box so I could solder them on to something. They were not anywhere I could see.
While I stared at the fuse box, not an easy task, I noticed that the hazard module was also missing, but I had tested them and they worked. I came up on this website and looked for a picture of the fuse box and it too, showed a missing turn flasher module.
Went back to the fuse box, replaced the turn signal/ bu fuse and it works just fine. Took me three months!!!!!

The turn signal flasher is obviously somewhere else. I really am slightly curious as to where it has been relocated (also the hazard module) but frankly, if the turn signals fail again, I will go back to using my arms- I have experience!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The flashers are located behind, and just to the right of the light switch, below the instrument cluster. They plug in with the spades facing the rear of the vehicle. Very hard to find and replace if you are an old fat guy like me.:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...hope I never have to find them... Next project- My horn doesn't work, but I can yell very loudly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figures

Haven't found it yet, but will...eventually. Put power to the two horns and one of them worked. Took the shield off the steering wheel to expose the horn switch... However, there is NO wire going to it. Looks like it has been removed. I am not looking forward to rewiring it....will have to stick to yelling for awhile!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts