El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 TX import
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a new post here for clarity.

Have been working through and replacing vacuum lines on my 87, while trying to work to the diagram on the shroud:
Font Wood Art Tree Schematic

The lines I mainly have issues with are:

PCV - a 3/8 line coming from the valve. The diagram does not make it clear what port it should join to on the carb. It is currently connected to port T, via a T piece, which is blanked off:
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

The diagram further shows this PCV line making a T to the Air Management Valve and the TVS.

Currently the Air Management Valve is connected to Port B via a further T piece, which the air cleaner also connects to.

The TVS is currently not connected to anything.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a schematic drawing for the carb and ports, or provide some knowledge as to what should be connected to where?

I do apologise for the complete ignorance on my part. I'm learning on the fly here, with very limited mechanical experience, and no experience at all of US engines.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
479 Posts
Pcv goes to L. At the tee, there's a smaller loop down to a split, one side goes to a check valve to the air management on the left of the engine, the other side goes to the top of the EPE/TVS (funky thing next to the thermostat housing). T comes out to a check valve right before it hits the bowl valve.

Best to take a good pic with a cell phone and zoom way in. Clears things up some. Figure all lines are straight, if there's a tee, it'll show in the pic as a small white area not a solid black cross.

·
Registered
87 TX import
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pcv goes to L. At the tee, there's a smaller loop down to a split, one side goes to a check valve to the air management on the left of the engine, the other side goes to the top of the EPE/TVS (funky thing next to the thermostat housing). T comes out to a check valve right before it hits the bowl valve.

Best to take a good pic with a cell phone and zoom way in. Clears things up some. Figure all lines are straight, if there's a tee, it'll show in the pic as a small white area not a solid black cross.
Right, thanks for that.

It looks as though the T and L ports are switched then.

Unfortunately the label is a little deteriorated with age, so zooming in doesn't help all that much.

Incidentally, the car is running super rich. Is this likely to be due to these lines being all mixed up? The carb is flooding which would suggest to me a physical problem. I'm considering buying a replacement float as a matter of course.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Artifact Font Art Wood Pattern
B for the aircleaner is by itself, although mine has a metal tee at the carb and also goes to the choke pulloff. L is large tube, goes to tee (pcv) and small tube tees (tvs top - smog pump). K(low) goes to tee (purge/bowl top valves). T goes to the inline check valve to the bottom of the bowl valve. H goes to top of the purge valve.

As far as being super rich, that'll have more to do with the choke settings and idle/air screw settings. Factory settings for idle mixture screws is from seat back out 3-⅜ turns. Air bleed screw (big brass screw on top, in front of the choke plate) is from down seat back out 4 full turns. Make sure your choke is properly adjusted, timing is set to 0° (tan/black stripe wire disconnected and idle less than 1000rpm with hot engine) and the fast idle when choke is engaged is barely on the first step (that'll be @ 1400-2000 rpm).

That's the basics settings, there can/will be some small! adjustments after as each engine is slightly different, but changes are very small, ⅛ turn on the air bleed or idle mixture screws can have a noticeable impact.

You'll also notice your adjustments go in circles. You'll change the air bleed, which can change the idle screw needs, which can change the idle mixture screw settings, and go round and round as you dial it in, which can change the engine rpm and will require checking the timing, again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oh, one other really small, talking Tiny, detail if you have occasion to change the gas filter (be very careful with this, the steel gas pipe twists far too easily) make sure the filter has the small rubber check valve on it. Without that check valve, gas from the bowl will siphon back to the pump, and possibly a good ways back to the tank, so if the car sits for several days/week it makes for a very long start time and requires basically repriming the bowl.

If you Google long, hard starts it almost always comes back as a timing issue, and that'll drive a person crazy. (many filters do not have the check valve, or ppl remove them thinking it obstructs the flow of gas to the carb).

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,393 Posts
thank God for people who have the knowledge we sometimes need and are willing to share it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No kidding. For the most part cars aren't hard to fix. Couple wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers will fix about anything. It's the knowing of what and where and when to fix that's the hard part. I've learned more about my car in the short time reading these posts than a year spent in shop class. 👍

·
Registered
770 Posts
No kidding. For the most part cars aren't hard to fix. Couple wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers will fix about anything. It's the knowing of what and where and when to fix that's the hard part. I've learned more about my car in the short time reading these posts than a year spent in shop class. 👍
You have a different reason to learn.😊

·
Registered
87 TX import
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amen to the RT's post above.

I've never been one for getting my hands dirty and always considered anything mechanical to be far beyond my ability. That may still turn out to be true, but having this old classic, in England with very little professional help available to me, I'm gonna have to sink or swim!

The knowledge base here is incredible, and I'm in awe of the guys that can both do the work, and share that knowledge in a way that makes sense to the rest of us.

Very much appreciate those of you that have responded to my various posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts