El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone from the community, I'm new here. We have an 87 Elky with the 5.0 V8 that hasn't started in about 1 1/2 years. However, when it was able to run before, we would only use it about 3 times a year. I am convinced that the starter has gone bad because when I go to turn the key, I can't hear anything, no noise whatsoever is coming from the starter. Lights, Gauges, and AC fans blow when I turn the key but the starter does not work, so the battery is good and all charged up. Tried the old trick where you tap on the starter with a hammer and nothing happened. Checked the fuses, all are OK. My question is, can I be sure that the starter is the problem? And If it is, where can I find a starter that fits the 5.0 V8 engine? How much of a Job is it to take out the old starter and put the new one in?

I have one other question that is irrelevant to the forum list, but somehow the parking brake line snapped in half where the clamp is. How can I replace the brake line? It's currently just hanging to the ground.

Thank you in advance, any information is helpful. I'll try to show you guys pictures but I don't have any taken yet.

Lahoski

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The radio, blower motor and most electrical should stop during ‘crank’. If they’re staying on, it’s likely you have a problem in your mechanical linkage between the lock cylinder and switch at the column. Try to start it in Neutral instead of Park. Try wiggling the shifter as you crank. Try adjusting the steering wheel position if it has Tilt. Try to start it with the door open and the headlights on. If they and the dome light don’t dim, the starter isn’t getting power and your problem is ‘upstream’. If these tricks don’t lead you anywhere you need to get a wiring diagram and test light, and probably a service manual. You may need a neutral safety switch. I don’t think you’ll need a starter, but it isn’t that hard to pull and can be tested and rebuilt or replaced. Any parts store can get a reman unit, and most towns have a rebuilder too. Both should be able to test it.
Patrick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The radio, blower motor and most electrical should stop during ‘crank’. If they’re staying on, it’s likely you have a problem in your mechanical linkage between the lock cylinder and switch at the column.
When I turn the key, the lights on the dash and the dome light will dim slightly, and If I try to start it with the door on the ring will stop. I have tried to start it in neutral and it still didn't work, I'm not even sure that the Elky has a neutral safety switch because if I try to start it in drive the key just locks before you can turn to start, so maybe its some mechanical thing instead of the neutral safety switch, but I could be wrong because I know barely anything about them. Wipers, lights, brake lights, blinkers, brights and everything works, so it can't be a battery/alternator issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those starters are easy to find. A local parts place or a chain store that has free shipping would be the place to get one. the chain part stores still might test starters but you have to take it out. did you check the connections on the starter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It will create a spark, keep any fuels away, and keep away from the fan belts with your hands, clothing, and any long hair.
Get an experienced friend to do this for you if you are at all hesitant about doing it yourself.
Using a screwdriver, as the above poster mentioned, is easiest.
Jump the solenoid by shorting the connection between the large cable and the other wire on the end of the starter solenoid.
One of three things should happen:
1) engine cranks (indicating a bad or broken connection somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter)
2) solenoid engages, but starter does not spin (starter motor bad)
3) starter spins, but does not engage flywheel (solenoid bad)

If it turns out that the solenoid and/or starter motor is bad, it is usually not a difficult job to remove/replace. If you have headers instead of stock exhaust manifolds, you may or may not have trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I'd also put the vehicle into neutral if you jump the starter solenoid. Less chance of the vehicle lurching forward and breaking things.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd also put the vehicle into neutral if you jump the starter solenoid. Less chance of the vehicle lurching forward and breaking things.
I don't feel safe with the car in neutral. Like I said, the parking brake line is snapped in half, so no parking brake. All I have keeping it stopped is the car being in park, and a block against the back right tire.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
You could disconnect the battery and temporarily add a remote starter switch. Then reconnect your battery .
See info here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts