El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if I could get some input on what to do with my exhaust. First off I have an 87 with a stock 305. I wanted to cut out the cat and put a flowmaster exhaust on, probably something from the 40 series. As of right now I just have the stock exhaust which is a single leading to a single muffler. I wanted to y pipe it to duals and run them out in front of the rear tires. Should I just get a single inlet exhaust with dual outlets or y pipe it and have two flowmasters? As for headers, I am undecided whether I just want to keep the factory ones on for now or get an after market. I would like true duals, but I don't think I want to spend that much at this time. What I am looking to get out of this is good sound that is loud. I like to hear my vehicles and have others hear them too!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I have flowmaster 40's on my 78 with a 350. Stock exhaust manifolds and cut the Y pipe to make true duals but ran both pipes back past the trans crossmember and then brought the left side over and out the back. This kept cost down a bit by not having to swap out the crossmember.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pypes

Look at a set from Pypes. They make a set of dual pipes that mount to the stock manifolds then to their x pipe. Not too expensive. This eliminates the cat. But, if you are thinking about doing this start squirting the manifold to exhaust bolts with PB Blast or something to make sure they will come off. I have checked into headers and I am not sure they are worth the trouble for a fairly stock 305. Most do not exactly fit. But true duals with nice mufflers are, at least they sound good. Pypes make a set that exit behind the rear wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. But just wondering now the with the Pypes PYE-DGU10S I would have to get the x pipe in addition to that for this application?

G

·
I say save your money until you can get all of the parts done at the same time. Headers with 2 1/2 pipe into true dual 40 series flowmasters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts