El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my Fater-in-law and myself just finished putting in a 383ci engine in his '87 El Camino. Needless to say it runs strong. During this engine swap we found numerous tattered wires so we bought, and installed a painless wiring system. While the system was pretty much painless, the A/C hookup information was not. I have the Haynes manual, and the wiring diagram is not the most clear there. I'm usually very good with wiring diagrams, as I have completely re-wired a half dozen cars before, but this is my first A/C car that we are keeping the original system intact. I left the original A/C wiring mostly intact. If memory serves me correct I have one black, and one red wire under the hood to connect (+ & - I'm assuming, not that hard). I'm actually having problems with the switch part. What gets power, what goes to the compressor, etc...

If anyone has a wiring diagram for maybe a dealer installed A/C system, and a factory one, honestly I don't know which this has. Anything better than the Haynes manual would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Charles

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I've got four files I can send you. Do you have PKZIP? They're pretty large files.

e-mail me.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
If it's a factory setup look here
and here
if it's a dealer installed, you're pretty much on your own unless you could send a few pics of the system, then I could help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is EXACTLY what I needed. The heater is now working, and all I should have to do is get a vaccum pulled on the A/C, then a recharge. Thanks.

Once I had the right diagram, it only took about 10 minutes to finish wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts