El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this, so I thought I'd post it here.

I saw a 87 SS in a store parking lot with a for sale sign on it.
The truck is silver with a black bottom. In looking at the elky, this is what I see.

Bumpers are starting to rust, as the chrome is dull and the paint is faded.
It's missing the middle of the front spoiler (not sure what it's called).
Tires are starting to get dry rot on them as there's cracks on the sidewall near the rims.
Wheels are missing the center caps and trim rings.

Drivers side:
Door looks like it's sagging and the top of the door is not flush with the bed, it's in about 1/4 inch. I'm thinking new hinge inserts will fix that.
Door and part of the rocker panel has some surface rust on it.
There's some rust on the top of the wheel well on the bed.
Never thought to look for rust on the fender.

Passenger side:
Door is mangled so I know it's going to need a new door as the door looks like it was pried from the bottom quarter. I didn't think to look at the rocker panel to see if that was damaged.
There is quite a bit of rust on the bed between the wheel well and the bumper.

The bed itself had a liner and since the owner wasn't there, I didn't want to pull it up to take a look at it.

Interior:
Color is maroon and the cloth is fading.
Car has buckets with shifter, full gauges, tilt, cruise, pw & pl.
Drivers door doesn't have a power window switch on it and the headliner is duct taped and push pinned in place.

I went into the store to ask who owner is, and got their number.
I was told the truck has 58,000 miles on it, I couldn't see the vin as the for sale sign covered it up so I can't run a car fax to verify the mileage.
They mentioned how much they paid for the truck and that they put 800 into the truck to get it to pass emissions, which judging by the inspection sticker and license plate was a little less than 2 years ago. My assumption is that it runs as it has a gas receipt from last month and has been on the lot for about 3 weeks.

I'm thinking the value of it is 1500 to 2000 only because of the options it has, but I haven't bought a car like this in a very long time and I don't want to be shocked.

I know that pictures would help and I'll get some in the next day or so.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Most important can you do all that work yourself? Bodywork and paint get expensive quickly. A new door is about $500 plus labor to transfer parts and 2 tone paint. Ballpark estimate is $5000 to do bodywork, paint, headliner, bumpers.
Get it real cheap or spend $4-5000 on something nice and already done or real nice original.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
As a seller probably around 2500, as a buyer, i would say offer them 1500, then work your way up to 2000. I wouldnt pay much more, otherwise you would be loosing money. As the condition that you are saying, faded paint, centercaps missing, bed mat. If it has a bed mat it probably has a crummy paint job under it....like mine. If they didnt keep that stuff up then possibly other stuff wasnt keeped up either.
Oh and 53,000 miles is possible. Mine only has 82,000!!

Good find if you can get it for the right price. Mine was origionaly 3,500 but grandpa got it down to around 3,000. I had some of that stuff too. Paint had dust on it from being in a barn but it looked faded until we washed it.

Oh any pics??

Brandon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where is the car located? Hopefully since the owner didn't list a price he may want to just unload it. I strongly suggest gettin a little dirty and looking underneath the car paying attention to the frame and floors. Don't worry about surface rust on the door check the inner shells to make sure they aren't wasted. Based on the description and not seeing it I would say $1500.00 would be max especially since you could be spending at least 2 to 3 times that in parts and labor.

It's sad to say it but I find most of the time the cars are worth more in parts than the whole.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally spoke to the owner today over the phone, she claims everything works but it needs "cosmetic" work. I tried pressing her for what she was looking to get and all she said was she had an offer for 2300 then claimed her phone was running low and had to hang up.

I also lifted up part of the bed liner and it looks to have some kind of faded black spray/roll on lining on it. My guess is they put the bed liner on the truck to cover that mess up.

Bobby, can't do body work but I can hang doors and transfer the parts that's easy as for the major body work, I'm not really looking for a show piece, just something to run to the stores with pick up stuff with. As this would be my 3rd car, behind a 95 Grand Prix GTP, and the minivan, And who knows, my next door neighbor might just want to do the body work as he was a body man now collision insurance adjuster and he was saying to me how he misses doing bodywork, but I don't count on those things.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts