El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 TPI 350 with a 700R4 transmission. The engine has a cold start injector. Is there an advantage to not using the cold start injector and blocking off the port or will it be needed? If I block it off will I need to have a chip programmed to exclude it? Its going to be in my 83 El Camino. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Cold start injector is for enrichment when starting a cold engine. I'd recommend keeping it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like I will keep it. I was very curious when I found a block off kit on eBay. I had a 90 TPI that didn't have it and used speed density instead of a MAF. The intake must be different too then to accommodate the cold start injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Places like tuned port injection specialties or Howell handle this kind of stuff.Block off plugs are available, The later years used the 8 injectors for cold start, which was stated as being better. It did have different computer tuning for this & a 1990 stock chip had VATS antitheft function built in, so unless you,re doing a custom chip anyways,leave it.

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
FWIW, I blocked mine off on my '86 setup. Reason was the injector was bad, and they are no longer available. They cannot be repaired either.

Ran mine with it blocked off for about a year with no real issues, other than a little hard to start( maybe 4-6 seconds to start). Got into tuning and burned my own chip to replace the '86 programming with the '89 ,that eliminated it by firing all 8 injectors, and no more hard start issues.

If your injector is good, you can run it 'til it fails, then block it off. At that point, if you don't like the starting, get a chip burned to go to 8 injector start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bit of bad news. A week and a half ago I found out one of the heads was cracked. So I purchased a set of heads. Monday I took the block into the shop. Cracked in the lifter valley. Bummed me out bad.:dontknow: I listed the good head on eBay and the pair I just bought. Last night I purchased a 96 LT1 with a 4L60E for a good price. This one looks good so far and I think will be a better engine change for the 83.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have both engines in different toys.both are great in thier own respect. the tpi has more bottom end and the lt1 is happier at higher rpms. the tpi revs slower than the lt1.in ca i would use the obd1 computer and harness to avoid the obd2 s stricter emission reqirements. it will run exactly the same just 1 less sensor on the engine and 2 less o2 sensors in the exhaust. that is unless you got the engine from a police car. you also have to deal with the electric speedo and anti theft system that is built into the pcm. pm me and i will tell you how to deal with the anti theft,its something you really want to keep especially in ca. and can be used with any other alarm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts