El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it goin all

I've been doin alota diggin about how to narrow a 9 inch. odviously the best rout to go is to find one that is already the right width but this poast is for those who dont have the 900$ to go dump into a housing JUST A HOUSING!!! but this post is for the working man that can afford to put maybe 100$ or 200$ a month into building a rear end.

I found a rear rear end from a friend of mine. it's a ford 9" out of a 1977 ford t bird. the WMS to WMS measurement is 65 inches (about). it's came with an open carrior with 273:1 gear ratio. caust me 100$. to make this rear end fit into my 1987 elco it needs to be 58.5 in.

so i did some digging and found out that on all ford 9inches there is 2 things in common that are important to this situation.
1) the idstance between the axles inside the carrior needs to be 1.125 in (1,1/8)
2) the pinion is 2 inches offcenter to the left looking at the pinion.

now with this information we can figure out what our axle lengths need to be. becase the pinion is 2 inches off center we need to center it. (78 to 87 el cmainos need a centered pinion). to acleve this we simply make the left axle 4 inches linger then the right which will bring the pinion to the center.

so we start with a base number that we will use to detirmon the length of the axles. start with out desired width of 58.5". subtrace the distence between the axle shafts inside the carrior, 1.125 and we get 57.375 (57 3/8). now we devide that number by 2 to get 28.6875", now if we were working with an axle with a centered pinion we would be done, that would be the length of our axles. however because we have an offset pinion we need to add 2 inches to one axle and subtract 2 from the other which will give us out axle lengths. on the left we have 30.6875 and on the right we have 26.6875.

here is the math

A= desired width from WMS (weel mounting surface) to WMS
Xa= right axle length
Xb= Left axle length

Xa= ((A-1.125)/2)+2
Xb=((A-1.125)/2)-2

good now the hard work is done. now comes the fun part figureing out the actual housing width. so we know that from WMS to WMS we want 58.5". but to do this we will be needing some specialized tools. below i have posetd a picture of the tool you will be needing to make the measurements must be precise or the rear end wont be straight. you'll need a 2" piece of flat stock about 13 in long.

so this tool gives us our pinion center line but what do we do with it. now's where we need to know out brake offset. this is the measurement from the WMS to the backer plate WELDED ON THE AXLE not the one thats bolted on. for my axle it is 2.5 in. so to get this measurement we simply take out total brake offset which is the brake offset of both sides added together (5") and subtract it from our desired width of 58.5" which gives us 53.5. this will end up being the total width of the axle housing. now to figure out how much we need to narrow the axle we simply devide this number by 2 to get 26.75". this will be the distance from that fancy tool i showed you how to make to the end of the backer plate.

this is the tool you will need to make. like i sed be precise

theese are the measurements in picture format i know none of this made sence untill i saw it in a a picture so i jumped on the cad program and whiped this up for all to see.

like i sed this is for the adverage joe who cannot afford to go out and buy a premade axle from mouser. i'v done everything mensioned in this post to my axle and i have a grand total of 250$ into my axle thats including buying it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry bout the spelling i've never been really good at it and I guess i dont no how to put pictures in but if anyone wants the blueprint drawings that i made just PM me and i can eamil them to you.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,740 Posts
9 in = 0.750 feet
9 in = 0.22860 meters
9 in = 228.6 millimeters
9 in = Why women have depth perception

I'm sorry! I just could not resist:twisted:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

sorry wrong code

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
search on here for "rear end widths" and this is the 5th listing.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=40628&highlight=rear+end+widths

click on the link, and you'll see that early broncos have a 9 inch the same width as stock elkie. Lincoln Versailles has a 9 inch with factory rear discs and park brake that is REAL close to the right width.

that's why we say.... search is your friend!!

:poke: :nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
look at the link I posted above, early Bronco 9 inch is 58 inches wide, same as a G body's. Versailles is 58 1/2, 1/4 inch wider per side + factory disc brakes

as far as using a 9 inch with factory mounts to mate to leaf springs....there is quite a bit of info around about using "truck trailing arms" in G bodies. These are very similar to the rear control arms like used on 67-72 chevy trucks. They mount with U bolts over the axle thru a plate welded to the trailing arms. they are semi-triangulated (the rear of the arms are out near the brake drums, the front of the arms mount closer to the centewr line of the vehcle). By playing with the mounting angle, you could use a stock rear sway bar. You would also need to run a panhard bar. here's a couple of pics of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i figured i'd post this just in case someone ran into the same problem i did. around here where i live there is absolutly no 66 to 77 broncos left. i've been looking for one of those rear ends for close to a year now and i havnt found one even close to me. but a friend of mine had the rear end out of a t-bird and he wanted a hundred bucks for it. figured it was a steal. 300 more in axles and a hundred for berring cups still would have been less then buying just a housing from moser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts