El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 el camino. It was my grandfather and he bought it from another guy that had swap the engine to an automatic 91 corvette 350 tune port injection and 91 corvette transmission. I am trying to fix it up but the engine keeps turning off on me once i turn it on or when im at a stop light or when i put it in reverse. It also stalls out on me on the road when im driving it at random. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes it doesnt. I changed all the spark plugs and wires, and all new injectors, and checked the gas tank for dirt, I also changed the fuel filter and it had tons of old dirt that looked rusty and changed the oil and oil filter. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
If the filter was that dirty, then likely the "sock" that fits over the pump in the tank is also clogged( assuming in pump tank. Even if you have an inline pump, the pick-up in the tank will have a filter sock).

The other thing that can be causing random shut-downs is the Electronic Module inside the distributor. They tend to fail randomly, and will exhibit strange behavior prior to giving up the ghost entirely. They can be tested at your local auto parts store, but make them test it 3-4 times in a row ( gets them hot). Make sure to use heat sink compound when you re-insert the module int he distributor. Heat kills these electronic devices, and the compound helps to draw the heat away. Some folks say to use dielectric grease, but in my mind that stuff does not have the same properties as the HS compound. Seems to me is would be more of an insulator rather than a conductor.

Lastly, make sure that one of the wiring harness looms has not fallen down on a header and melted. Had that happen, and it also caused the car to shut down when it grounded out some wires in the bundle.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check the idle speed motor.that is what keeps it from stalling at idle and low engine speeds.if you are driveing slowly and take your foot of it could cause it to die .if you keep your foot on it will it stay running?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the help ima try these things this week. Carl yeah when i keep hitting the gas it will keep going but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it just dies. It shuts off like someone just turn the key off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts