El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a low mileage 1995 v6 out of astro van into 86 elcamino that has fuel injected v6.Can I use astro oil pan? Will the 86 vehicle speed sensor work with 4l60e trans and will fuel pressure nbe an issue?. All info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
The electronics would be interesting. Isn't the 95 V6 an OBDII engine?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The oil pan should fit without an issue,, is it the chevy V-6 ? You may have to get a seperate computer for the 4L60e,, your 86 OBD 1 does not connect to the tranny,, I think you will have to use a 95 pump for the pressure requirerments,, If I did this swap,, I would pull the 96 computer and harness and replace your 86 harness with the 95,, the 95 is it a TBI or is it the mult-spider injection?? Matty man

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why? I did the vet 94 or 95 LT4 with 4L60E tranny and a set of gears and was pulling 25+ mpg. Power and economy!

·
Registered
388 Posts
OBD II starts in 96...
I wasn't sure about Chevrolet/GM. I've worked on 95 vehicles w/OBDII so some manufacturers did begin using it in 95.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
some gm cars were obd2 in 94 ,but gm trucks wernt obd 2 untill 96. the trans will need the 40 tooth reluctor to feed the ecm correctly to make it shift .the problem will be with the speedo. as you wont have a cable drive.painless may have a speed sensor .your old one is only 4 pulse per rev

·
Registered
532 Posts
a lot depends on if the 95 is tbi or spider injected, for a tbi motor it is a straight swap, (ecm change if you want the trans from the 95,the only difference at the motor was they got rid of the esc module and integrated it into the computer. the factory harness can be repinned to fit the one from the 95) if it is spider injected in 95 they came in three flavors depending on date of manufacture, obd1 obd1.5 or obd2 the obd 1 you could use the factory harness with a repin, the other two would require the harness from the astro/blazer, the spider injected changed fuel pressure so the 60 pound pump would be required also, physically it is a bolt in.(oil pan, mounts, exhaust, ect) i have done a couple of the spider injection swaps, they are pretty simple, just rewiring the harness can be a pain.(just my two cents, but the tbi is more hassle free and seems to get better mileage)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts