El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1974 el camino Chevrolet 2 carb 400
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after getting my el camino i decided to start stripping the interior but i needed to get the old seat/bench out. I got one of the 4 bolts holding the bench in place but the other 3 are rusted in or just destroyed, any tips on how to get them out or just breakem?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Plenty of Spray Foam Deep-Creep - spray on both top and bottom of the bolts. Allow a day or two for it to penetrate. Heat from a torch may help too.

If it becomes necessary to cut the bolt head off, be careful to leave enough to grab with pliers/vice-grip OR ??

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
637 Posts
1) well, maybe some PB blaster to soak'em down if you wanted to keep the fasteners and not damage anything else
2) using a 4 or 4 1/2" cutting wheel on a grinder cut the heads off of them either in the cabin or underside of the unibody, of course you will probably damage the seat brackets
3) if no grinder then try maybe a hacksaw or air chisel

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
637 Posts
Plenty of Spray Foam Deep-Creep - spray on both top and bottom of the bolts. Allow a day or two for it to penetrate. Heat from a torch may help too.

If it becomes necessary to cut the bolt head off, be careful to leave enough to grab with pliers/vice-grip OR ??
:LOL: Rick.... u were furst

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly i was thinking about using a E saw and cut the brackets off then drilling the first bolt only because the bracket looks really bad and needs replaced then itll be easier to get the bolts and the carpet out

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Even an inexpensive Harbor Freight electric cutoff wheel would melt through those rusty seat bracket bolts. I had to do the same with three out of four of my seat bolts.

Rick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Sky Bumper

bolts seats and carpet is out the floor is not in the best but for how long it sat it looks really good took a can of liquid wrench but i got them out thank yall for the great ideas if that didn’t work out

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Drill out the bolt with a progressively larger bit until you can use a punch or small chisel to roll out the shell of the bolt thats left. Rechase the threads with a tap and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Drill out the bolt with a progressively larger bit until you can use a punch or small chisel to roll out the shell of the bolt thats left. Rechase the threads with a tap and you're good to go.
Wayne I'm confused. o_O
OP says he got the bolts out. Does he still have to drill out the holes?

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know also if the floor board is bad all the way to the bolts would i still have to rethread them for when i get new floor panels or will they be pre tapped

1 - 13 of 13 Posts