El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didn't wreck it or damage it, but it has been a crappy day nonetheless. Two weeks ago I had a cat-back Borla exhaust system installed. Mandrel bends, chrome tips, real nice and has a nice sound. It was $500 when all was said and done and I had all of this done out of town.

(A little background, I live in a CA desert town with about 30K people and only one decent speed shop, all the others are race-only.)

All was well save for a wicked header leak which resulted in a blown header gasket, but that's been fixed. So after a day of cruising around, I notice a horrible bang everytime I go over a bump. I take a look behind my car and under the rear and notice my driver side pipe is welded about an inch too high and is slamming into my roll pan. This sucks, but it gets worse.

I continued to drive the car as the banging is not horrible and isn't causing any damage, just some irritation. Finally this week, my dad had a flex-Friday (works in weapon survivability on the local Naval base, and yes, we live in a desert. Don't ask.) so we took my car and my parents' car and went back to where we had the exhaust done. We called yesterday and made sure they would have plenty of time to do the work and that it would be done in one day. Fast forward to this afternoon.

I'm standing in the shop waiting for one of the guys to get back from lunch so we can get my car taken care of. The guy shows up and we (my dad and I) explain what was wrong. This was not the guy we called yesterday, but he was the one who did the work on my exhaust. He didn't seem happy that he had to fix his mistake and also told us that they were backed up and *might* have time for my car. We told them that there wasn't much of an option, but we would leave it and call to check up on it.

I left the car feeling kind of peeved and worried that he would not do a good job out of spite. We went around town and did some Christmas shopping, etc. to kill time. At 5 o'clock we called them (they told us to call at 5) and they said it was done and we could pick it up, I was happy. We get to shop and I go in to get my car. I saw my car and the pipes looked kind of funny, but I figured they had fixed it. I talk to one of the other guys (who is a cool guy and alot friendlier than the other IMO) and he says the bend over the axel was causing the spacing problem but they fixed it. I thanked them and went on my way. A few miles away from the shop, I go over a slight bump and BANG! BANG! I wrote it off as a big bump. We go and have dinner and as I'm getting on the freeway, I hit a small bump in the pavement and once again, it bangs just as loud. This banging is about 20 times worse than before. I go a few miles down the road and pull over at a gas station to look at the situation. My dad, who was following me, got out and told me that my left pipe was bouncing up and down really violently. I go to the back of the car and push down on the back and sure enough the pipe begins banging into the axel. :mad: My dad gets under the car and looks and one of the welds is completely broken. The pipe was dangling and with the lightest touch, banged around under my car. My dad figured they might have put a lot if pressure on the pipe or even just stepped on it to lower it and weakened the weld. So the whole trip was a waste for me. On top of all of that, as I turn out of the gas station, I hear a snap on my steering column. It turns out that the plastic piece that switches off my turn signal after I turn broke. I feel like I could cry. I drove 3 hours round trip to have my exhaust and spirit damaged. Sorry I'm not here spreading holiday cheer but rather moaning and groaning, but if anyone would understand this bummer it'd be all of you. So may you and your El Caminos have a happy holidays, maybe I can get this all fixed before the middle of the week and I'll have a nice Christmas too!

Kris

·
Registered
276 Posts
major bummer man! i hope this gets cleared up soon. i would be headed for the BBB but that is just me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Er...?

Might be stupid or just too young, but BBB?

I hope it gets cleared up as well, it's really depressing. :-(

Kris

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you werent so far from ohio i would say you and jasno had the same people workig on your trucks.hope ypu get it straightened out soon

·
Registered
66 Posts
just find out a little before you del with some one.been using the same mechanic since i been driving. occasionally he screws up but will make it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts