Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s your preferred brake fluid for astreet car running corvette c5 brakes
I’m about to dive into this swap and it’s the last item I need

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Just about any DOT3 and up rated fluid will work, but if I'm doing a complete system, after flushing all the lines, I would go with the DOT5 silicone fluid. Used it on a Harley restoration and was impressed with the brake feel and the plus of the silicone being a water repellent and doesn't damage paint.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Draw back to the silicone dot5 is that everybody has to know that is what is in the system. It is not compatible with Dot anything lower than 5. Mix them and you have problems.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started the swap today
Will have the system bled in about one hours worth of work

Pretty simple and easy swap

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks great. With all due respect, compared to the OEM on the Elkys, they are big.
However, big brake refers to 6 piston calipers.

I have Brembo 4 piston calipers on my Camaro SS and 4 piston Wilwood on my Elky.

Curious, would the current Camaro SS /Vette Brembos have worked?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
If you are concerned about using Dot 5 and recognition on the M/Cyl just paint a 5 on the cap. Simple solution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just started my C5 upgrade also. Blazer spindles, new ball joints, tie rods, and all new stainless lines front to back. Passenger side done. Moving to drivers side. Went to order my American Racing 18" and was told they were out of stock with no expected instock date. Guess it will be on Jack stands for awhile

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree. I had the adapters for a set of camaro wheels that were given to me years ago and I do not like running them so I decided to buy new wheels that will fit without them.

As part of the original post question, since I'm running all new lines and front calipers most of the old fluid is out. If I ran DOT5 will the entire system need flushed or will a little bit of DOT3 be fine?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Dot 5 and dot 3 mixed turns into jelly. You need to get it all out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts