El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 EC has an A/C Carb Idle Solenoid which is supposed to kick on when: i.) A/C is turned on (light green wire at AC low pressure switch on receiver/dryer); or ii.) when CCC computer decides idle needs to be raised (by grounding black wire at relay on passenger side fender - there is a pink/black wire which originates from the CCC system which provides the other side, positive, of the relay trigger circuit).

I have removed the CCC computer and I am now running a Mountain Man carb and HEI distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance. As a result, the idle solenoid will no longer be triggered by the CCC computer (described as "ii" above"). Instead the idle solenoid will only be triggered by the A/C being activated (described as "i" above"). As far as I can tell the only reason that the relay was placed into this circuit was so that the CCC computer could trigger the idle solenoid using milli-amps through the trigger wire.

I am in the process of cleaning up my engine harness now that the CCC computer has been eliminated. It is my desire to eliminate the idle solenoid relay and modify the wiring harness. The modification would involve the direct wiring of the green wire to the light blue wire of the idle solenoid. So I turn to this board's collective wisdom, is it a problem if I direct wire (i.e, without relay) the light green AC wire and idle solenoid together.

PS Another thought is for me to measure the amps drawn when the solenoid is activated. What is the maximum amp draw without a relay.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put a vintage air system on mine and wired my high idle sol. into the wire that go's to the compressor. I think that is what you are saying. When the comp. is on the sol. is on.

Don

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a vintage air system on mine and wired my high idle sol. into the wire that go's to the compressor. I think that is what you are saying. When the comp. is on the sol. is on. Don

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I found on another site that a carb solenoid draws about 1/2 of an amp. Because the amperage is so low, no relay is needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts