El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a refurbished A/C compressor, but it came without a clutch. I've got a couple of older compressors for donors. The one that was on the car had a coped 1/4" thick steel band wrapped and welded around the hub. It looks like it would give the hub momentum. The one without the band looks a lot cleaner. Any ideas on the the significance of the welded band?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
If you have the short pancake type R4, the one with the band is for the older style, heavy weight R4 compressor, and was for balance. The newer, light weight R4 doesn't use the band because it is lighter, it doesn't need it.
The clutch assemblies are not interchangable between the two.
If you bought an older style heavy weight R4, take it back and get a light weight instead.
If you have the long, A6 type compressor, then the band is also for balance. Some had these, and some not. Most A6 clutch assemblies are interchangable.
Also note, when swapping clutches, be sure that the diameter and belt centerlines are the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A/C clutch hub band

The compressor is the R4 type. I had a couple of banded ones, and couple without bands. With the clutches, the banded ones all weighed 7.5 lb. and 6.5 without. I suspect they are probably all the same type, and heavy weights. The new one I bought says Four Seasons Automotive Products #57045 on the box, and it looks the same as the others. It's clean, plugged, and repainted but says "Relabelled, not rebuilt by Factory Air" on the unit. I paid $40 for it at a flea market figuring it was probably better than an old used one I had. My neighbour is an electrician/ refigeration repairman at the GM plant I work at. He said he has a clutch puller and will help install one of the non banded clutches, and charge the system for me. Although he has some R12, it's expensive and he said he can do the upgrade to 134a for about the same cost.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts