El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new tires and my Elky is running and driving great. The temps go up to 108 and what happens? My A/C stops working. There was an odd smell for a short period when the cool was slipping away, which I was told was some kind of seal in the compressor that went bad. So I need a new compressor.
I tried to buy a new compressor before taking it to the A/C shop on Monday, but I have to know if the compressor has a 9:00 coil or a 12:00 coil. I don't have a clue what the guy is talking about, and he was no help. The parts guy said he didn't know what the difference was, but he had to know in order to find the correct part.
Can any of you tell me which compressor coil position I need for a 1987 SS? Is there an easy way to tell? I want to repair this quickly because it is HOT!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Turn the compressor to where the rear ports are horizontal and at top of compressor and view it from the clutch side. If the terminals where the wires plug in are straight up it's a 12:00 coil, if they point directly to the left it's a 9:00 coil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts