El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a engine swap and finished months ago, and as usual the compressor is on the passenger side with the serpentine hookup, but my a/c hose in not long enough to reach the condenser connections on the drivers side. Now I've read other post saying they used the a/c system from other vehicles, firebird, cutlass, etc. but never from a truck. Im wondering if I can use a condenser form a 1985 GMC 1500 1/2 Sierra. It has the same connection according to autozone but the connection are on the passenger side, only difference is that its a little smaller, very small difference. Also where is the orifice tube on a 1983 el camino? Please Help. Thank in advance for all comments/replies.:dontknow:

El Camino Central :You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Several of the Pontiac - Olds g-bodies used condensers that the outlets were on the passenger side. I think if it had the Olds 307 engine the condenser is a passenger side outlet. I just gave one away and I believe that was what it came from.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also where is the orifice tube on a 1983 el camino?
It's located in the end evaporator tube right behind the accumulator.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used a ninety four lumina condenser my my fifth generation. I had to cut slots in the radiator support and I used plastic wire lume to cover the edges and I slid the condenser into the slots and it worked perfect. The biggest problem I had was getting the right fittings to fit the compressor and dryer. I got the condenser in the junk yard. I think I heard somewhere that a camaro condenser will work too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why not take the existing A/C manifold remove the existing hoses shorten the large hose and buy new high pressure hose and have them crimped on to the existing manifold. I would think that it would be the least expensive way to go too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts