El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! When I bought my Elky a couple months ago, the AC did not work. I was told that it was taken into a shop, and new parts were supposedly put on, although it certainly does NOT look like the parts were new when they were replaced. Anyway, I was told that the freon (sp?) needed to be replaced. Now that there is a different refridgerant being used, I have been told that there is a conversion kit that can be purchased for about $40 that will make my AC compatible (if you want to put it that way) to the new coolant. Has anyone heard of this, or tried it????? Any response to this is greatly appreciated! (My dad was told about it and as soon as I get some money wants to get one and try it, but I'd like to learn anything about it before I invest!!)

Thanks again!

~Ger
(^ the "Mistress of the Camino" <-- a nickname from my friend :p )

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Some Auto parts places sell a "Kit" it consists of some 134, Oil Charge, new fittings for the AC (12 & 134 use different fittings for charging), and a Hose for charging.

I would suggest that you have the complete system flushed. You'll need to get rid of the Mineral Oil that 12 used. You should get as much as possible out, Condenser, Evaporator and replace the Accumulator/Dryer anyway just for kicks they run about 40 to 45 bucks. New Expansion valve and O'Rings. Check if it has had a new compressor they generally ship those dry and it will need oil hopefully you haven't tried to turn it on and run the compressor with no Oil in it.

The set up for your elky will work pretty darn good even with 134. This is just my suggestion I am no AC person. I've done the conversion on a 93 Pickup and one or two other cars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried to run it at all, simply because I was told that it didn't work, so I figured, "Why bother?" Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some Auto parts places sell a "Kit" it consists of some 134, Oil Charge, new fittings for the AC (12 & 134 use different fittings for charging), and a Hose for charging.

I would suggest that you have the complete system flushed. You'll need to get rid of the Mineral Oil that 12 used. You should get as much as possible out, Condenser, Evaporator and replace the Accumulator/Dryer anyway just for kicks they run about 40 to 45 bucks. New Expansion valve and O'Rings. Check if it has had a new compressor they generally ship those dry and it will need oil hopefully you haven't tried to turn it on and run the compressor with no Oil in it.

The set up for your elky will work pretty darn good even with 134. This is just my suggestion I am no AC person. I've done the conversion on a 93 Pickup and one or two other cars.
I'm just gonna add my 2 cents here. Most stock R-12 systems readily convert to the R-134 in use now. You should change the oil and flush the system like ElkyPete said. You should also change out the old O-rings (usually part of the conversion kit). And if there's even a small question about the hoses you should change them too. Also your STV (Suction Throttling Valve) and POA (Pilot Operated Absolute) valves Have to be changed! They need different calibrations from the R-12 valves. I have seen some kits that replace the STV and POA valves with an accumulater and orifice tube like newer cars use. Replacing all that old-school stuff will give you a working climate control system that will work well for years to come! Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts