El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on my a/c when i got the car last year it had was converted to r-134 and had a new but unfortunately remanufactured compressor. But i charged it up and it worked good for about a week then quit so i figured its got a leak and it was the end of summer so i didn't bother to mess with it. Now that its starting to get hot again i was hoping i could fix it today i was going to take of one of the hoses to see what o rings it. But before doing this i checked to see if it had any left in it by poking the thing where you charge it at and it still has freon in it? I figured it would be empty so im wondering if i was shouldn't just charge it up and see what happens what do y'all think? Oh and sorry about the long post lol im bad about rambling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Even if it still has freon in it, if it's low the compressor will not cycle, and thus not generate the pressures required to create cold air. That is one possibility, I would start there and see what you left in it. If it's okay, I would check your high side pressure switch, see if it still functions correctly.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
look for a wet/oily fitting,, if you find one snug it up..

if it has a low side switch on the accumulater?? jumper it for just a second or two,
that will tell you if the compressor and power is good.. and its probly low on charge..:texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
shoot a can with oil and freon into it and see if it picks up if it does take it to an ac shop and let them use thier sniffer on it to pinpoint the leak and plan ahead to repair it . the sniffer i have will pick up a 1/4 lb a year leak. i always start with a sniffer test before any ac repair

1 - 5 of 5 Posts