El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So the other week I was laying in the bed, and I noticed that one of the bolts on the smugglers box lid (not sure if thats the right term) was loose.

So after inspection of all the bolts around the lid I quickly came to the realization that there are at least a small hand full of stripped screw holes on the bed side of the box. Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should do to repair this damage?

Also, after removing the lid there seemed to be residue of some type of sealant on the lips all around the area that the lid sits on. I want to have some type of seal on there before the rain starts coming back to CA so as not to create a small Jacuzzi in the back of my truck. :cool1: But I also want to be able to use it as maybe a type of storage area or something, so I don't believe I want to seal it with some sort of epoxy or glue or anything of that nature. Any suggestions on that end with also be great, maybe some type of weather stripping? Anyway.

Thanks fellas. :You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
If you look though stellybill's thread on his 4th gen build he shows where and how to do drains and make the lid functional I think.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
on my 2nd el camino to seal the compartment is used 3m dum dum its a rope type putty looks like gray clay. it stays pliable seals out water. it was used at the dealership i worked for to stop squeaks . NOW the 72 i have, the PO used caulk and great stuff and tar. from the looks of it he applied this combination with a shovel and broom

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..I've seen some guys put a paino hing on them and made it a extra storage bin..

:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the reference, Neil, I was admiring Stellybill's 4th gen just the other day. I'll take a look.

And it looks about the same over here nomader, by the looks of things it appears one of the POs pasted it down with a blindfold on. There's dried paste on the bed and seeping down the walls of the box. Going to have to get grinding...:poke:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As if there isn't already enough storage space on A TRUCK...

But honestly... I kinda like it. :secret:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts