El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, so I previously disconnected my smog pump and removed the egr valve. I have decided, for obvious reasons (gas prices) to re-install everything. I know where every part goes but am unsure about the hoses leading from the a.i.r. vacuum switch assembly to the manifolds and air cleaner are routed... its an 84 with a 305.... also i know there are vacuum lines that lead from the carb to the egr valve as well as the vacuum switch assembly.... can anyone provide pics or info on how to route the hoses? also, on the drivers side a.i.r. pipes, the end that the hose slips onto broke off, do i need it?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Should be a factory decal on the rad. shroud with the vacuum diag.

·
Supporting Member
4,470 Posts
Sounds like the check valve on the driver's side is missing. You need that- keeps exhaust from working it's way back into the AIR system.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would removing the egr and smog pump cause my engine to be running rich? And if so, could the fact that Im running rich (I can smell it in the exhaust) also be causing increased oil consumption and oil burning?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,578 Posts
Reinstalling the A.I.R. system will not cause any change in performance. If you have removed the EGR, the computer may be in "limp" mode, far from optimum calibration. I can't help you on the '84 diagrams, as I have an '87. I would recommend checking for computer trouble codes once you get everything hooked back up, or even having a system scan done. I had similar symptoms with my '87 a few years ago with poor performance, pinging and over-rich mixtures. A system scan turned up a defective TPS (throttle position sensor). Replacing that one part got me crisper throttle response, a 3 MPG improvement and enabled me to once again use 87 octane fuel with more timing advance than I could previously run with premium fuel. Of course it goes without saying that spark plugs, wires etc. need to be in good shape.

Bill

·
Supporting Member
4,470 Posts
AIR would have no affect on mileage or oil consumption. If you removed the EGR, but have the remainder of the ECM system intact, then you should have a Check Engine light. When the ECM detects a fault such as the EGR system, it may go into Limp Home mode, which is full rich on the carb and limited spark advance. Full rich could be causing some Wash Down of the cylinders, but it is a far strectch to think that it is related to massive oil consumption. Probably just bad valve seals or worst case rings have gone bad.

Reactions: steelybill
1 - 6 of 6 Posts