El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably pretty common knowledge, but it helped me out a lot, and since this site has helped me out a ton already, I want to give something back, even if most of you know this.

I was going through drill bits like crazy until the guy at the hardware store asked me what the heck I was doing. So he told me all about the wonderful cooling properties of oil. So now a drop on the bit before I drill metal, and life is good. Oh, and slower is good too.

Rivets.
J

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Damn, you learn something every day! I had been using WD-40 with my drill press, but only after the bits were already worn, and heating up. I'll try your trick from the start!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Something else to remember is the SMALLER the drill bit the FASTER the speed needs to be. Big bit, slow speed. Don't zing 'em too fast! There are also cutting oils that help out, too.... drill bit coolant, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Rick, all the sharpners I have seen that do a very good job (worth their salt) are much more expensive than the junkers.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The only reasonably priced drill bit sharpener that will do the job is The Drill Doctor, They have several models, I have their Model 500 that I bought many years ago for about $150 but I know they have less expensive models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts