El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ledge that is in front of the rear window. Is it structural? O.K. it probably is, or it wouldn't be there. It is the metal ledge that rolls down to a flat section just below the rear window in my '68. Mine is beat up pretty badly. I suppose I could remove it, repair it, and replace it, but does it have any special use? Now is the time to make changes since the back window is out.
I'm really trying not to make a mess of the car by making "quick" fixes. It is just so frustrating to repair things that others have destroyed for who knows what reason. Somebody has dented this ledge pretty badly. Probably trying to pry it down, and shoot more goop in to stop the leaky rear window from rusting out the floor. Which it didn't do!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was wondering what that metal ledge did also. I have one in my 70 Elky SS 396 and have no clue what it does other than look like a filler pannel to neaten up the appearance from looking in behind the rear window. Shame they didnt put any rear window defogger there or speakers or something to make it useful.

Oh well, thats my .02 cents on this matter. Maybe someone will find it useful. :lol:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Not sure if that panel really adds any strength back there. I agree that it is probally there to neaten up the rear area and possibly hide the spare tire.
I personally like it and have not seen to many 3rd gen's without it. I also have not seen any replacement pieces in the catalog's or on Ebay. Finding a new one might be tough.
I added a speaker wall to mine. Check it out under members cars. Mine is called a72elky. There is one pic in the gallery showing it. Or if you go to my web site, you can see a before and after pic under the interior section.
After you make the wall, there is plenty of room for deep speakers and amps you could mount in back of it. I just covered it with some inexpensive black carpet that I bought from Home Depot. It matches pretty good. I do have a wood template from my 72. I made it out of 1/4 ply wood, a 1x2 fur strip, some silicone, spray glue, and the carpet. Should be pretty close to yours. I can transfer it to paper if your interested???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts