El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I am a new member to the group, from the PA MD line.I have just inherited an 80 Elky, from an aunt who passed away. It has the 229, auto. Has 82000 miles. seems to run ok, and no rust, as my dad said she kept in in the garage most of the time. was a Texas car, however it did have the passenger side carpet, rather wet lol So as I try to make it my daily driver I will be looking for some good advice!! Skip

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Skip,

It would appear you came to the right place. If you cannot find the answers from the Elky crew here, they will at least direct to the right places. Chances are someone on this site has been there and done that and can help you get through what we did without the blood, sweat & tears . . . . (OK - maybe a little sweat).

Anyway - WELCOME Elky brother . . .

Dan

·
Registered
492 Posts
hi skip! your car is from Texas at least, so your cool with me!! :lol: i thought the wet passenger floor only came with the v8s?? :eh:

·
Registered
163 Posts
From one Pennsylvanian to another, "WELCOME SKIP"

·
Banned
881 Posts
motorbreth said:
... i thought the wet passenger floor only came with the v8s??
It doesn't matter what the engine is. It's either a clogged drain in the bottom of the heaterbox causing rainwater to back up into the Elky or the heaterbox to firewall gasket has dried out and the rainwater is seeping in at the firewall. If it's wet when it's not raining then the heater core may be leaking.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
87ElCamino said:
It's either a clogged drain in the bottom of the heaterbox causing rainwater to back up into the Elky or the heaterbox to firewall gasket has dried out and the rainwater is seeping in at the firewall.
Hey Ernie...I know I saw a how-to article on Ray's web site, but I be darned if I can find it again. I need to put a link up, then archive it. :cool:

·
Banned
881 Posts
This is the door in an A/C box closed:

And this is the door in an A/C box held open with a paper clip:

It's hidden behind the plastic inner fender well. The only way to clean it out is to remove the blower motor and reach down into the heaterbox.

·
Registered
492 Posts
87ElCamino said:
It doesn't matter what the engine is. It's either a clogged drain in the bottom of the heaterbox causing rainwater to back up into the Elky or the heaterbox to firewall gasket has dried out and the rainwater is seeping in at the firewall. If it's wet when it's not raining then the heater core may be leaking.
hmmm.. im sure your right but i was refering to another wet carpet problem on the passenger side, mostly happens when your huggin turns going 120. :D

·
Banned
881 Posts
motorbreth said:
hmmm.. im sure your right but i was refering to another wet carpet problem on the passenger side, mostly happens when your huggin turns going 120. :D
Maybe the person sitting in the passengers seat needs to see a Urologist if they can't pucker up their sphincter while your doing 120.

·
Registered
492 Posts
87ElCamino said:
Maybe the person sitting in the passengers seat needs to see a Urologist if they can't pucker up their sphincter while your doing 120.
:lol: :lol: hey you can laugh at the measly 120, but in all fairness, you havent seen the turns. if your ever in south texas youll have to go for a ride with me!!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Here is were the "Dad" in me comes out. "You know that Elky was never meant to slalom especially at 120!" You are literally taking you life and the lives of others with you into your own hands and because the Elky is a truck and not designed for that some day you could loose big time.

I think one of the biggest problems with the C4 or C3 Corvettes was that they were not real aerodynamic and in the right circumstances it would come off the road and becoming a wing at high speeds. They've since fixed that in the Corvette but they will never make a truck aerodynamic enough to deal with that. Well maybe the SSR but I seriously doubt it on that one too it only has an advertised 300 horses.

OK :D I'm off the soap box. We do have some pretty uncrowded roads here in Tx. That are pretty fun to deal with at higher speeds. My big issue is the Farmers have very slow and large equipment that they move on those old back winding "two lane" roads. Nothing like hitting 75 or 80 and rounding a corner seeing a huge combine coming at you at 10 or twenty taking up all the one side and part of the other. Its just freaky!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts