El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
12,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 80 was a standard floor shift from the factory. It has a little lever beside where the ignition is that you push down to remove keys (still don't know what that’s about?)
But the problem is the key will not return to locked position to remove keys or turn forward enough to start. It will go to run but not start? It seems like something has slid forward not allowing the key to turn all the way. I did a search and I see and adjustment on the switch but I don't see the key pushing the rod in the column?
Anyone had this problem?:dontknow:
Donny

· Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,394 Posts
...I think the back drive rod that goes to the steering column is not in neutral, Wiggle the rod thats attaches to the column..:dontknow:
:beer:

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Donny, first thing to try is a healthy shot of WD-40 into the lock cylinder. Those cylinders are mostly pot metal and often jam up when they develop a lot of wear. The little lever is most likely not the problem. Either the cylinder or the linkage it operates is hung up or the internals of the cylinder have siezed. If WD doesn't help..pull the wheel. I made many service calls for this that were solved with some lube.

· Banned
5,787 Posts
x2 on lockjaw also when you push the button it should allow the key to turn to the lock position and remove the key, if not pull the wheel , lock plate ect ect,,, internal issues as you have already suspected or you could just buy lumpy from me.... plenty of parts that way DDD :poke:

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Donny, sounds like the spring cover that is staked to the cyl plug has come undone. Nothing will help but a new cylinder. 80's have a setscrew securing it in the column so you have to tear it down, pullers can't be used. This is a common problem with high mileage GM cars, especially when people have a large heavy ring of keys.:dontknow:

· Registered
2,075 Posts
MANUAL floor shift cars-----------from about the mid 70s

My 73 Malibu does not have one-----my Chev truck does----So does my Ranger (2005)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.