El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AAA (American Automobile Association) has asked the EPA to remove E15 fuel from pumps.

Several manufactures including BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagon are refusing to cover vehicle warranties for damage caused by E15. More are signaling they will follow suit, including General Motors, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, according to AAA.

Read the entire article here.

Copper

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This all seems to be 'par for the course' given our current administration -
I agree with that 100%............If you think your car don't like try it in your outboard my 250 Evinrude runs like hell on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Gonna have to change the consumer 1st.Should state in the owners manual what type(s) of fuel the vehicle will run on.The ones that will take that are labeled flex fuel.I've worked with people that can't differentiate between the diesel and petrol handles at the pump.Had one driver fill both tanks on a diesel truck with regular gas.He's currently seeking employment,and hopefully improving his reading and comprehension skills, elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My new generator has in BIG PRINT that the warranty will be void if any fuel other than E10 is used.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
We have to take the bad with the good sometimes. I certainly agree that Ethanol is a BAD idea, and it's also expensive as an additive, and decreases gas mileage.

Just don't let your nice car sit in storage over a long winter, .or your emergency generator, your lawn tractor, or push-mower..will have carb problems....been there..

Using corn ( food !) for auto fuel is the dumbest idea ever. It's all about money...ours !

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Using ethanol in our gas is supposed to reduce our carbon footprint on the environment, but has anyone studied how much petroleum based fuel is used to till the soil,plant the crop, cultivate/spray and tend the crop, harvest the crop, transport the crop to the distiller, distill the crop then transport the ethanol to the refinery? Am I missing something or is corn, fuel and money being wasted?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
In the mid 80's some fuel distributors were adding ethanol to fuel deliveries, to stretch there profit. Federal standard, allowable ethanol was 5%, anything over was messing up the last carbs and first fuel injected cars. We tested a lot of fuel. Now they are pushing 10-15% on us. They are trying to push out all old cars. :texas:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Keep in mind the fact that the government's push to use ethanol is based on politics/farm subsidies/giant agricultural consortiums. It also enables the admin to skew the facts about using domestic resources.

I'll bet the president's multi million dollar limousines are fueled with high grade 100% gasoline.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Exactly what problems are yall having? I ran my 84 on E85 for years and never had a problem one, the car actually never ran better. In the winter it was a bit cold natured but other than that it ran great. This was with the bone stock 305 that I made no adjustments to, now the 350 without the computer controlled carb and dist dosent like it at all, but I bet I could make it like it easy enough. My dd is a flex fuel HHR and I use E85 as much as possible, yes mileage goes down, but at .40 per gal cheaper the per mile cost is the same. I have noteced with the E85 my oil change intervals are greatly extended, so that saves me money!:texas:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Using corn ( food !) for auto fuel is the dumbest idea ever
What is used to produce E85 is field corn used for animals, all they do is remove the starch to produce fuel, then use the rest to produce animal feed. Its a win win situation if ya ask me!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That may be true where you are at, here the ethanol company's are contracting for both field corn and sweet corn husks and stalks to make the ethanol. DNR is opening up state land to cut grass to use as ethanol also.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The petroleum industry did a study of E85 and found that 25% of the engines they tested were damaged by E85. The EPA has got to go! It's trying to destroy the coal and oil companies. I wish they'd do the same thing with biodiesel. Biodiesel is some bad stuff! The engine warranty on my Dodge diesel will be voided if I take it in for engine warranty work and they find more than 5% biodiesel in my fuel system. A lot of refineries are putting up to 15% biodiesel in their petrodiesel! I contacted several of the oil companies and asked if they were going to pay for any engine damage caused by biodiesel and pay for another engine warranty. They all told me that people love biodiesel and nobody was complaining. So far I've foung that Valero has the lowest percentage of biodiesel of up to 5%. When Murphy oil (Walmart) went to 15% biodieael my mpg dropped dramatically. My son-in-law has a new Ford diesel and his owner's manual says that if you have any biodiesel in your truck and don't plan on driving for the next 30days to drain your fuel tank, fill it with petrodiesel and run it fo 30 minutes to make sure you get all the biodiesel out of your fuel system. It says that biodiesel starts breaking down in 30 days and if any degraded biodiesel is found in your fuel system your engine warrant is voided. I can't figure out why the liberal news media isn't reporting this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
They couldn't afford to make ethanol out of corn without government subsidies. It's not really cheaper. You pay for the subsidy with your taxes.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Since the ethanol subsidy ended sometime last year, I doubt that's a factor here. And ethanol can be made from other things than corn. And, "spent" corn, after the sugar is removed to make ethanol, is a better feed than it was before it was used for ethanol.

Have you seen the engine builds in Car Craft and Hot Rod, taking advantage of E85 (which has something like a 105 octane rating)?

Now, I'm no fan of the stuff, and all my calculations seem to show that E85 is MORE expensive than E10, taking into consideration the reduced fuel mileage, but I say throwing out the EPA and letting the market work is probably a good idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts