El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im building up my 383.

i got my block back from the machine shop. ( .030 over, machined for larger crank, then hot-tanked, magnafluxed, all the good stuff)

i ordered a 383 stroker kit, (eagle stroker crank, bearings, flywheel, rods, etc)

im gonna be wrapping this up soon, and i know its still a bit down the road, i have started looking at some external features. i just wanna be prepared when i get there.

- I heard its a good idea to run an electric fan set-up?
-Is it beneficial (performance) to run a hi-torque mini starter?
-Besides clearance, is there a reason i would want to use a short water pump over a long one? or vice versa
- will the radiator that came with the 350 from the camaro suffice with the new improvements?

any help would be awesome. thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Electric fans can be good if you spend enough for a proper setup, otherwise stick with a good clutch fan with a proper shroud. Water wetter type products can give additional cooling.
A mini gear reduction starter isn't 100% necessary, but is nice if you get good quality one. Will give more header clearance & spin engine over with less battery drain. My ls1 comes with em from factory.
Stick with the correct pump for your accessories.
Hard to say what radiator you have & condition

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,079 Posts
There certainly can be advantages to an electric fan setup, however the clutch fan system works well when its in good shape and you have a good shroud. I'd take the clutch fan over some poorly thought out aftermarket electric fan.

There is no "performance" benefit to a mini-starter, other than the fact they tend to be lighter.

if your car came with a long water pump, which it did then stay with the long water pump, all your accessory brackets and pullies are based on it.

as for the radiator, it all depends. if it had excess capacity to keep the original 350 cool then it may be just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MOST important on the water pump is to get a really good one. Some cheap piece of c**p will cause all sorts of problems and gremlins.. Also, for sure get a good new thermostat. Essentially try to eliminate all problems before hand so when something turns up later you can know with assurance where it probably isn't.

You should NOT flush your engine block right after you put it in, but it would be a great idea to have your radiator flushed. If you cant as it is not in a running vehicle right now, usually $100 will pay for a new cleaning repair and flush at a radiator shop. They could make a recommendation as well. I would think if you can, get a 4 core rad from the junk yard and take it to the radiator shop and do the cleaning and flush. Again, this would give you that assurance yo would not have to pull and replace it later. We never appreciate good money after bad.

If you do not go with a mini starter, and I do not as they are very expensive, make sure you spring for the $25 for a heat shield and install it correctly. When using these, I install a coupler in the electrical wire to the solenoid as it is almost impossible to remove and reinstall that wire later if you have headers. Make sure you get a really good starter regardless as it will be a BEAR to replace later!!!

Forgot, Make ABSOLUTELY sure your lower radiator hose has the spring in it. Would be a shame to have this great system which then collapses the hose. Those can be a really tough one to diagnose.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
electric fans are a free sorce of horse power between 20 and 30 if you want to see the benafit come drive my camaro and elco and see the difference. a well designed and installed electric fan set up will out perform a clutch fan every time.the small gear reduction starters are the way to go they are lighter,smaller and will turn over so much more motor with so much less it s the only way to go.they arnt that expensive .i get brand new ones from my rebuilder for 125.brand new with bolts and shims.the one i just took from my elco turned over a 11.7 to 1 400 for 10 years and never once had an issue.they will turn your motor with a half dead battery.there is a reason even gm got away from them.the short water pumps dont flow as well as long and aside from all of the bracket issues,how many of you remember the belt tosing early sixties high reving small blocks ? i sure do.tou also move the fan farther from the radiator causing more heating issues.you cant put that much spacer on the fan without risking breakage of the waterpump snout .been there done that . as for the radiator,depending on the year the lower inlet is a couple inches higher than stock elco causing hose issues. i have been running the plastic/aluminium stock radiator from autozone 100 $ and a lifetime warranty it cooled my 400 with no issues even in vegas with the air on.i wont spend more than 35 to clean an old radiator when i can replace it for 100 and forget it for at least 10 years

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just to clarify gm got away from the old style big 3510 starters in favor of the gear reduction ones on everything.my 2000 chevy duelly has one on its 454 and it cranks like there are no plugs in it even at 140,000 miles still has the factory starter on it

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you end up with a motor cranking out 400+ HP I would be surprised if your oem radiator provides adequate cooling on hot summer days...

Mine didn't and I replaced it with an AlumaTech all aluminum radiator and a pair of high quality electric fans which are computer controlled.

The system works extremely well now.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have a 400 hp 350 in it now and still cools fine.mine is a two core 1 1/8 tube aluminium and never runs hot. when you buy a radiator always get the hd cooling radiator

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a mini-starter on my Chevelle. It was the cure to a recurring problem I had with large Hooker Super Comp headers soaking the OEM style starter with heat and making it difficult to start when hot. The clearance between OE starter and header was very close and a heat shield didn't help. I haven't had a bit of trouble since installation.

It'll also shave a few pounds in you are looking to reclaim every ounce, though that was not my desire. It is easier to heft into place than the OE pig.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Answers

so im building up my 383.

i got my block back from the machine shop. ( .030 over, machined for larger crank, then hot-tanked, magnafluxed, all the good stuff)

i ordered a 383 stroker kit, (eagle stroker crank, bearings, flywheel, rods, etc)

im gonna be wrapping this up soon, and i know its still a bit down the road, i have started looking at some external features. i just wanna be prepared when i get there.

- I heard its a good idea to run an electric fan set-up?
-Is it beneficial (performance) to run a hi-torque mini starter?
-Besides clearance, is there a reason i would want to use a short water pump over a long one? or vice versa
- will the radiator that came with the 350 from the camaro suffice with the new improvements?

any help would be awesome. thanks!:beer:
# 1 question running elect is a personal preference,how ever you will drawmore amps from the Battery and,your alternator ,in turn will cause more load on the belt turning your alternator,that being said, i will always use a flex fan and belt set up,my trust level for electric is not there .
#2 Minnie starters work great ,can stand a little more heat,save room,use a little less power starting,and will flip your engine out :poke: Yes use a Minnie starter,have heard a lot of guys talking about the GM starter,sure someone here will get you a part number .
#3 depends on what accessories you use ,generally the long pump is for newer vehicles and short is for the older ones, go with a Long pump and save your self some trouble with mounting accessories and running belts ,

#4 go to orilleys and get you a radiator with Heavy duty cooling(4 Row) for your el camino iam sure you will get lots of comments on this ! so is $$$$$ a issue ?

Good luck !:texas:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im bout to start a 383 build my self can u give me some advice n what parts ur using?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, $$$$ isn't TOO much of an issue, got a steady income and put some aside every week, so I can get what I need, even if it isnt til the next week or so. But if I can, I'm not lookin for top notch equipment, but for something with a mix of quality and longevity.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I agree with fixitman about the current draw of electric fans, and increased power to turn the alternator. No such thing as a free lunch. It may well be less HP than an engine driven fan though. Hard to measure the difference though.
I've always had good cooling with a 7-blade fan with a clutch, on a 400 SB, which is a hot running engine anyway. A good sized radiator can make up for a so-so fan system somewhat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts