El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 85 SS. Love it. 15 year old son and I are working on it together. First project car.

Trying to fix the AC. Previous owner gave me a new compressor an a bunch of fittings that I had a mechanic install. Clutch works fine.

Problem is that there is almost no flow of air on any setting.
I thought it was the blower motor so I changed that out. It spins good and reacts to the AC control. (Sticks sometimes but I think I can solve that)
Anyway, even when it is on, there is little or no airflow.

Could a door be stuck? A seal somewhere? Where would you check first?

Looking forward to your knowledge!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I just bought an 85 SS. Love it. 15 year old son and I are working on it together. First project car.

Trying to fix the AC. Previous owner gave me a new compressor an a bunch of fittings that I had a mechanic install. Clutch works fine.

Problem is that there is almost no flow of air on any setting.
I thought it was the blower motor so I changed that out. It spins good and reacts to the AC control. (Sticks sometimes but I think I can solve that)
Anyway, even when it is on, there is little or no airflow.

Could a door be stuck? A seal somewhere? Where would you check first?

Looking forward to your knowledge!

Check if the heater box is sealed tight turn the air on high and feel for air escaping out the box. Where the heater hoses go into the box must be sealed. or you may have a door stuck or disconnected inside the box.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Where the arrows need to be sealed and all around the cover and box bolted to the firewall. Your vacuum line may also be bad and the door isn't opening???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I looked at the blower motor again and it does NOT increase speed when I turn up the fan control on the dash. In fact, it seems to turn too slow to to generate much airflow.

When I turn on the AC, the fan doesn't start turning unless I spin it a little with my finger. Then it spins but doesn't seem to generate much air, like it isn't turning fast enough.
Also, it does not change speeds when I turn it up from the control.

Seems like either the control switch or maybe the relay.

Thanks for your quick reply guys! This forum is great.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
If you changed out the blower motor and it "sticks a little ", you have a bad motor ! Play with it but its still bad . The heater box door could be stuck also,or broken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you changed out the blower motor and it "sticks a little ", you have a bad motor ! Play with it but its still bad . The heater box door could be stuck also,or broken.
Thanks. I don't think it actually sticks. Both the old one and replacement work but they don't start without a little push with my finger. I can get them to work while installed but they don't spin very fast (I think).

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
sounds like a bad motor.Hook the fan blower directly to the battery and see if it works and if it does look at the resistor that's what controls the speed it's in this picture with the plug with 4/5 wires unscrew the three screws and see if the coils are broken or the switch inside by the radio.

I didn't fight it I spent $800.00 and replaced everything myself with help here. Chasing problems will cost you in the long run these systems are old and if you recharge with 134a it's going to leak out anyways from the rubber hoses.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If both motors run the same, I'd guess you have an electrical problem with the resistor pack, like hkdup said. The heat and air are sized for the Monte Carlo, so oversized for an El Camino cabin. You should get plenty.

I converted to R134, and had a local shop make up hoses for me from the new material. Still not as cold as when I ran R12, but that's just the nature of the coolant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank. Greywolf.

I'm going to try replacing the fan control and make sure that the hoses and vents are where they are supposed to be this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll take it to the shop for a pro to fix it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I found a local parts store with a fan control switch (10 bucks!!)). Had my 15 year old change it out and BLAMMO! Ice cold air blowin hard.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts