El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Chevy El Camino SBC327 TH350
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have swapped the stock 305 in my 83’ Camino for a 327 w/the double hump heads. The 327 didn’t have the AC compressor or brackets on it so I was wondering if anyone knows where to get them? The ones I have found on jegs, summit, etc are godly expensive or not compatible. Wanting to put it on the passenger side and relocate the alternator to the driver side to clean up the engine bay and not have AC lines running corner to corner. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts
Hello All,
I have swapped the stock 305 in my 83’ Camino for a 327 w/the double hump heads. The 327 didn’t have the AC compressor or brackets on it so I was wondering if anyone knows where to get them? The ones I have found on jegs, summit, etc are godly expensive or not compatible. Wanting to put it on the passenger side and relocate the alternator to the driver side to clean up the engine bay and not have AC lines running corner to corner. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Hello calgun04. I agree with you. Most of the aftermarket kits are crazy expensive and IMHO some are ugly as well. This is the kit I am going to go with. I have a '71 with the giant A6 compressor on the driver side. This kit will move the (included) Sanden compressor to the passenger side as you would like. The cool thing is that the unit bolts entirely to the block, not either cylinder head. Take a look. Maybe it will be a good fit for your project.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts
Hello All,

·
Registered
887 Posts
Unfortunately, without the accessory mounting point is the heads, your options for a clean, functional, and inexpensive solution go way down. Aftermarket front engine accessory setup is one way but another is to have your double hump heads drilled. However, drilling mounting holes has risks since all heads are never cast the same.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts
Unfortunately, without the accessory mounting point is the heads, your options for a clean, functional, and inexpensive solution go way down. Aftermarket front engine accessory setup is one way but another is to have your double hump heads drilled. However, drilling mounting holes has risks since all heads are never cast the same.
Agreed, if you hit a water jacket when drilling it's all over...

·
Registered
1983 Chevy El Camino SBC327 TH350
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, if you hit a water jacket when drilling it's all over...
Yeah, we don’t plan on drilling anything lol. I’ve found several different brackets for all three accessories and will probably go that route. My only concern is with piecing them together I may run into belt alignment. Guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Thanks for the input fellas

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
201 Posts
Yeah, we don’t plan on drilling anything lol. I’ve found several different brackets for all three accessories and will probably go that route. My only concern is with piecing them together I may run into belt alignment. Guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Thanks for the input fellas
The guys at Home - Vintage Air are very helpful...

·
Registered
150 Posts
The accessory holes are the only reason that I've gone away from double hump heads. I enjoy having my A/C! You have to have '69 -'70 (the original LT1) double hump heads to get them with accessory holes and they're nearly impossible to find. I found a set...he wanted $2000 and they needed to be freshened up. I went with Dart Iron Eagles. Love them!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Calgun, have you found a solution to your original issue of no accessory mounting hole on your double hump heads? It seems you're being caught between a sense of nostalgia for keeping and using double hump heads and the desire to have AC in your classic. Like you, I faced this dilemma when rebuilding old motors and wanting to retain that "stock" appearance.

Here are a few thoughts and suggestions:
1. The old heads are not only hard to find but can quickly get expensive to rebuild. If you a lucky enough to find a good set, the exhaust valve seats will require hardening or inserts installed. Additionally, these old heads don't necessarily flow as good as newer more modern heads.
2. Most newer cylinder heads flow better and just about all of them have accessory holes.
3. Weight saving option between aluminum versus cast iron weight.
4. Lastly, stock GM front engine accessory setups are plentiful and sitting around in bone yards for cheap. I've used the setup from a 4.3L V6 which fits perfectly on a V8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts