El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a very nice maroon ’84 El Camino SS. My wife and I are the second owners and the all it needs is a new headliner and the u-joints on the driveshaft. These will be easily fixed.

We are going to give it to our oldest as his first car. He doesn’t suspect a thing so I can’t wait to see his face. We’ve owned the car for two years after having purchased it from the original owner’s wife.

The only 2 problem I have found are: 1) the AC system, which in Georgia, for me at least, is a must! And 2) the temp gauge in the dash. The original owner had the ac system converted to 134a about 2 years before he passed away. The system blows cold but there is very little volume of cold air getting into the car. I took apart the housing for the fan and there was some small amount of debris in there that I cleaned out. The fan spins like mad so there must be something in the system that is blocking the air flow.

I assume there’s some vacuum door that’s only partially opening. Can someone point me in the right direction to start checking out the vent assembly?

The problem with the gauge I’m not sure how to trace. The orig. owner installed a screw in gauge but you can only see that with the hood up. Is this a common problem and maybe it can be fixed with a new sending unit or is it usually the gauge itself? I don’t know where the sending unit screws in but perhaps it’s where the screw in gauge is. I willpost this gauge question in the coolant section as well.

Thanks all!

Ron B.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts